[3830] WiQP N9NE SO Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, tfonstad@earthlink.net
Subject: [3830] WiQP N9NE SO Mobile LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 21:03:16 -0700
                    Wisconsin QSO Party

Call: N9NE
Operator(s): N9NE
Station: N9NE

Class: SO Mobile LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 7

  160:
   80:  261     0
   40:  267     0
   20:   19     0
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
  UHF:
--------------------
Total:  547     0  Mults = 67  Total Score = 119,447.0

Club:

Comments:

My son-in-law drove me 400 miles (40 to the start line) through 20 counties in
southeastern and central WI - from the industrial, urbanized east to the
irrigated and jack-pine covered sands of rural central WI. The weather
cooperated with just a few snow flurries and temperatures in the 20's F. I
'appropriated' my wife's minivan for the occasion and outfitted its roof with
two mag-mounts supporting a 40M Hamstick and an 80/20M Hustler combo. The top
of the 80M stinger was 14'7" above the road surface (!), but we only tickled
the bottoms of three overpasses on the bypass around Milwaukee. Rig was the
K2/100 with an old laptop running NA. The 'test started very slowly with 20M
turning out to be a punk band. As the afternoon wore on, 40, then 80M really
opened up with rates well above 100 in the last two to three hours. Many
heartfelt thanks to the group of folks who followed me (and the other rovers)
during our journeys. If I started naming one, I'd have to name twenty others
... you know who you are!

A comment on 80M: how is it that I could attract stations all over the country
on that band, particularly as daylight began to fade, but could not get the
attention of local WI stations who were well above S9 and calling CQ in my
face?

This was a very enjoyable experience, and for once, it appears that Murphy
stayed home for me. I apologize for sometimes not being able to pull stations
out of the aether, but ignition noise, QSB, and road noise sometimes made copy
impossible. Oh ... one last thing ... it is a real joy (not) to use the paddle
and the keyboard while rolling, pitching, and yawing on frost-heaved roads!

CU next year.

73
Todd
Fond du Lac ARC