[3830] Rus DX I2WIJ(@IQ2MI) SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, i2wij@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] Rus DX I2WIJ(@IQ2MI) SO CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:32:15 -0700
                    Russian DX Contest

Call: I2WIJ
Operator(s): I2WIJ
Station: IQ2MI

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: Milano
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:    91    0        32        15
   80:   430    0        52        54
   40:   268    0        52        52
   20:   498    0        56        64
   15:    51    0        29         5
   10:     5    0         4         0
Total:  1343    0       225       190  Total Score = 3,500,110

Club: ARIMI DX TEAM

Comments:

I feel short of about 200+ qso, my unwritten target was 1500+ and 4M+ points to
get the italian record. No chance without 15M! I don't know if I missed a sort
of an opening, maybe early on saturday, but I don't think so.
The funny thing (well...not exactly funny) was on sunday when I could only hear
ZS4TX and 9K2HN, well over S9, and then just the feeling of a lot of others
stations on the band by looking at the bandmap's spot, but just noise on the
headphones!
There are some highlights anyway.
I was called by a loud T88NS while running on 20M on saturday, put him in the
log and hit F1 with nonchalance, then realizing it wasn't the more familiar
Bosnia! Hey, but that's Pacific!
Quickly turned the beam a bit south, trying to catch some VK or ZL, at least.
Then worked my friend Mike, KH6ND, on sunday on 20M.
That's not an easy path either.
Found 80M in quite a good shape, balancing the noisy 40M. There, on 80M, I had
my best hour, 21z with 117 qso.
At about 15.45 I saw a ZS4TX spot on 10M. I decided to check that spot. Went to
10M but nobody was there. Check again the spot and realized it was 30 minute
old! What is it? Check the cluster time and saw it was in bad delay. (see later
on this). Made a short sweep on 10M and found D2NX. Called him barefoot. Nice
cacth. In the way back to 20M decided to quickly check the 15M.
I use to digit the frequency in the Win-Test call sign field, to get there, and
went to 21025. et voilà, here there is ZS4TX! Called him, barefoot again, and
asked a qsy to 10M. He agreed and we had the qso on 10M as well.
The downside now: the 20M was full to make me sick; frequency fights everywhere
everytime, and QRM all around. A mess.
The packet cluster (UHF link, 1200 bps) was not so reliable, and started to get
slow.
At a certain point (15.30z) I had the spots coming in with some 25-30min.
delay! Disconnected and stayed in monitor till after midnight, when all the
users went to bed! :)
Then reconnected and the link stayed more or less good till one hour before
contest end, when started to slow down again, but only within a few minutes
delay. Usually I don't use the cluster, so nothing to work on in the next
future, even if it is not clear to me yet if the delays were in the link to the
Flex-Net node or in the packet cluster node. I vote for the second one.

My thankfullness to my Radio Club for letting me use the IQ2MI/IU2M setup.
And thanks to Randy, K5ZD, for the 160M sked (and qso!). You are very kind,
OM.

ICOM IC-765
Ameritron AL-1200.
TH7DXX