[3830] WPX SSB PJ2T M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ghoward@kent.edu
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB PJ2T M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 05:37:50 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: PJ2T
Operator(s): N4RV, W9JUV, K2PLF, W0CG, PJ2BVU
Station: PJ2T

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Netherlands Antilles
Operating Time (hrs): 41

------------
  160:    9
   80:  628
   40:  445
   20: 1639
   15: 1450
   10:    6
------------

Club: CCC

Comments:

This one was just for fun. None of us wanted to work really hard, and we weren't
able to recruit any cutthroat ops so we relaxed, napped when necessary, and took
whatever the bands gave us. It turned out to be a good thing we didn't much care
about the outcome because we were nailed with terrible powerline noise during
much of the contest. It was solid S9 on all bands except 80 and 160, and it
cost us the almost total loss of 40. Apologies to the many of you who called
patiently but did not make it through the mask of noise. This was actually the
first time we were HOPING for a power failure so we could move to the generator
and have quiet bands!

N4RV and I sniffed out the source: two transformer platforms, one behind the
station and another at Sunset Waters Beach Resort about half a KM away. We
tried the usual remedies but couldn't stamp out the noise. We'll get with the
power company and get this fixed next time we're here for project work. The
utilities in this part of the world are under no legal compulsion to fix these
things, so we'll have to use some political finesse and possibly provide a
subsidy.  <g>   The noise came up probably because we are experiencing the
driest period on Curacao since 2001. Rain showers cure line noise, but we
haven't had a drop for weeks.

Thanks to N4RV, veteran of 39 years of contesting from this area of Curacao for
stepping up and doing more run operating than he planned. K2PLF did the lion's
share of the running, I (W0CG) backed up Marty, and PJ2BVU filled in
masterfully in the wee hours. W9JUV, a top honor roll DXer, accounted for
nearly all of our S&P mults.

Huge thanks to all the crew also for bag-dragging all kinds of assets down
here, ranging from new door pulls for the kitchen cabinets to custom splice
units made by W8WTS for 7/8 Heliax. Freight is super expensive to Curacao so
airline bag drags are the key to keeping up with our logistical needs.

WI9WI will be here SOABHP for WPX CW. Thanks to all CCCers for keeping PJ2T
alive and well.

    73,

       - Geoff, W0CG, PJ2DX for the PJ2T gang