[3830] WPX SSB KS9K(N4TZ) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N4TZ@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB KS9K(N4TZ) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:41:54 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KS9K
Operator(s): N4TZ
Station: N4TZ/9

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs): 36

------------
  160:   56
   80:  230
   40:  172
   20:  485
   15:   64
   10:
------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

As KQ2M likes to say, WPX is a contest all about strategy.

Of course, the clever general must examine the capability
of his troops, equipment, and location, as well well as
those of his enemy to come up with a winning strategy.
This is true whether one is battling on the world stage
with other super powers (read 1500 watts) or in a more
localized arena in a regional squabble (read 100 watts
versus other USA stations).

With this contest coming exactly 28 days after the ARRL
DX SSB contest, I expected conditions to be similar to
those prevailing that dismal weekend.  However, since the
DX stations could work anyone, not just US/VE stations,
I knew that I couldn't count on my low power station
working 28 different DX countries on 160 as I did 4 weeks
ago, but I hoped to pick up a little slack by picking
up some VE 4 pointers there. (Normally, the 160 and
80 meter antennas are removed following the ARRL phone
contest but with the really poor conditions I left
them up a month longer.) I hoped that 10 would pick
up a little, but never heard a signal here although WD5K
ended up with 52 ten meter QSOs.  I heard one EU Sunday
afternoon on 15 beaming SE but no contact resulted.

>From the center of the country it is hard to beam in a
direction which picks up both DX and domestic QSOs. Since
this contest originated as a DX contest with no points
for domestic QSOs, I decided to try to favor the DX
stations whenever possible, since 30 DX contacts would
equal 90 USA contacts.  Of course, the USA has lots of
prefixes nowdays, so when I'd worked all of the DX
available to my S&P efforst, I would try to find some
USA guys to work.  I ended with about 198 different
USA prefixes in the log.

I seem to have been moderately successful with this DX
first strategy.  Early returns show AC0W (1234Qs x 452 prefix)
and WD5K (1125Qs and 498 prefixes) made more QSOs but
ended with lower scores than my 1007Qs x 497 prefixes made.

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Prefixes

  160SSB      56          56         92       22
   80SSB     230         230        551      111
   40SSB     172         172        509       58
   20SSB     485         485        988      276
   15SSB      64          64        169       30

 Totals     1007        1007       2309      497

    Final Score = 1147573 points.

      Continent List  2008 WPX SSB KS9K

                   160    80    40    20    15    10   ALL
                   ---    --    --    --    --    --   ---
  USA calls   =     44   151    93   206     2     0   496
  VE calls    =      9    22    15    21     0     0    67
  N.A. calls  =      3    16    14    29    20     0    82
  S.A. calls  =      0     5    15    33    41     0    94
  Euro calls  =      0    30    25   173     0     0   228
  Afrc calls  =      0     6     5     7     1     0    19
  Asia calls  =      0     0     2     3     0     0     5
  JA calls    =      0     0     0    11     0     0    11
  Ocen calls  =      0     0     3     2     0     0     5

  Total calls =     56   230   172   485    64     0  1007