[3830] WPX SSB 9M8Z(9M6DXX) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, teleniuslowe@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB 9M8Z(9M6DXX) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 21:23:50 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: 9M8Z
Operator(s): 9M6DXX
Station: 9M8Z

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Sarawak, Borneo
Operating Time (hrs): 30

------------
  160:    0
   80:    0
   40:  367
   20: 1469
   15: 1081
   10:  220
------------

Club: CDXC (Chiltern DX Club) of UK

Comments:

Rig: FT-1000MP, Commander amplifier, 17-ele Optibeam at 75ft (3-ele on 40m,
4-ele on 20 and 15m, 6-ele on 10m).

Great contest and one of my best single operator efforts for several years.
Conditions overall were not that good but there were nevertheless some great
runs to Europe on 20m on both days and even on 15m on the Sunday. Amazing too
to work Brazil (antipodes of Borneo) long-path on 15m at 2.30am local time!
Even 10m cooperated after a fashion with S9 signals from JA / HL / BY and VK
(which was half expected) but also good signals from South Africa, Middle East
and even a few Southern / Eastern Europeans (which was certainly not
expected!)

I found very little activity from US stations on 40m. I worked every single one
that I heard calling CQ above 7150, usually first call, but when I called CQ
myself and listened in the US phone band not a SINGLE station came back to me.
Where were you all? Despite this there were many Americans who transmitted
below 7100kHz to tell me to listen up when I was running Asians below 7100kHz.
Hey guys, this is a contest, not a DXpedition! Why should I break a run of
6-point JAs that I was working at 2 or 3 a minute to spend perhaps several
minutes trying to find a clear frequency among the S9 plus 40dB broadcast
carriers to pick up a single US signal? You should have been there when I was
listening for you!

As usual I slept too much and only worked 30 of the possible 36 hours. Did I do
enough to win Oceania? Only time will tell!

73,
Steve, 9M8Z (op 9M6DXX, ex-G4JVG)