[3830] WPX SSB CT9L(DF7ZS) SOAB(TS) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, df7zs@darc.de
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB CT9L(DF7ZS) SOAB(TS) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 05:38:33 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: CT9L
Operator(s): DF7ZS
Station: CT9L

Class: SOAB(TS) HP
QTH: Madeira
Operating Time (hrs): 36

------------
  160:    0
   80:  465
   40:  447
   20: 1564
   15: 1800
   10:    0
------------

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

Soap

First of thanks to CQ hall of fame Walter (DJ6QT) who let me use his station on
Madeira (CT3). After operating with some of the big stations like DR1A and PJ2T
it was rally my number one wish to try out some single op effort. Walters QTH
has a TH5 beam installed and a arsenal of fibreglass poles and millions of
wires on stock. The class to participate was a fast decision, as this is a
textbook example for Single Operator All Band (Three-Band Single-Element â??
formerly known as threeband-wire)

My first goals were to capture the 4000 QSOâ??s I almost made in 2004 as PJ4P
and have fun.

In this time zone the contest started of course on the lowbands. Did I mention
how much I hate the lowbands? Double pointâ??s per QSO is worth it, but I was
so fet up after a few hours that I decided to put in a first early break. Iâ??d
rather run 180/h on 15/20m than 90/h on the lowbands fighting splatters and QRM
for the same amount of points. The next morning was much better. 20m is like 40
in the sunspot minimum, but finally I found some really nice rates on 15m. I
stayed on 15m as long as possible and decided to return to 20m when the
daylight goes off in Europe. Perfect decision! Just hit 20m and immediately
running close to 200/h into stateside. After day one the 4000 Qâ??s mark felt
like a piece of cake, but day two brought me back to the ground. Lots of
begging for QSOâ??s and it was really hard to get higher than 140 Qâ??s/h.
Towards the end of day two I hit a great opening into states side and the
fantastic discipline of the US opâ??s, again saved my day. A little bit of my
beloved low bands at the end and the finish line was crossed with well above
4200 Qâ??s and 16.7 million points.

After the dust settled â?¦. There was just one thought:  WHAT A FUN WAS
THIS!!!!!

Equipment used:

Yaesu FT-1000 Mark-V    (lost and found by the airline)
Acom 2000 Linear                (thanksâ?? Walter)
TH5 Beam                        (also know as the weapon of maximum impact)
Vertical Wires on 40/80 (always fun to built and a surprise how they work)
Heil Quietphone Pro 4   (anty rag chew capsular)

Thanks to all who worked and supported me. Sorry to all I did not copy with the
terrible qrm at times. CT9L QSL via DJ6QT  comments and complaints to
df7zs@darc.de

73sss

Helmut