[3830] WPX SSB VE3DZ(@VE3SY) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3dz@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB VE3DZ(@VE3SY) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 15:23:13 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: VE3DZ
Operator(s): VE3DZ
Station: VE3SY

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Petersburg, ON
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:  144
   80:  357
   40:  878
   20: 1034
   15:   96
   10:    0
------------

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Thanks to Paul VE3SY and Marg VE3RE for letting me use VE3SY station again.
It could have been well for the very last time, since VE3SY property is up for
sale now: http://www.ve3sy.com/sale
Also a big Thank You to Paul, VE3TA who loaned me his Emtron DX-2 amplifier
which was used with the 2nd radio and made life a bit easier, especially on 15
meters.
Low point is that rotor on the 2 el. 40 m beam got stuck, but the good news was
that it got stuck pointed to EU, so at least I could try to work 6-pointers from
Europe with no problems. However, when I was jealously listening to VE3EJ and
VE3UTT on Saturday morning managing huge pile-ups of VK/ZL and some JA's on 40,
my frustration was immense...
Conditions were so poor on Saturday morning on high bands, that I could not
(for the very first time in many years!) establish a run frequency on 20 meters
well until probably 18:00 UTC... Did a lot of CQ'ing on 40 with S&P'ing on 20...
Again, what a huge difference a stack of Yagis could make as compared to a
single Yagi! In conditions like these, even 1 dB of extra gain could help you
to uncover extra layer of stations that are mostly unaudible on a single
antenna. Slowly, but surely, hour after hour, VE3EJ and VB3E were making their
margin more and more noticable.
Had few good runs to JA though, something that I almost forgot doing from this
location.
Anyway, thank you all for the QSOs and points and congratulations to John VE3EJ
on his usual great score on phone!
See you all in WPX CW in 2 months.