[3830] SP DX N8II SOABMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8ii@aol.com
Subject: [3830] SP DX N8II SOABMixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 05:26:39 -0700
                    SP DX Contest

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOABMixed LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 7

  160:    0      0
   80:    6      0      6
   40:   26      0     13
   20:   87     33     16
   15:    0      0
   10:    0      0
---------------------------
Total:  119     33     35  Total Score = 15,960

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Operating in a DX contest with low power at the very bottom of the solar cyle is
a challenge to say the least. 15 never opened which was expected, but 20M was
well on it's way to closing by 19Z and closed by around 20Z. I could still hear
EA,F,I,YO making some Q's with SP at 20Z, but nil heard here. 40M peaked between
2215 and 2315Z and sunset was about 2340Z. By 0015Z, signals were weak from the
big guns. SP6YAQ was the beacon 40M signal. QRN was high on 80M and almost
every station had to struggle to copy me. Sunday, I didn't show on 20M until
1220Z, expecting to have missed a good hour of the opneing; sunrise is about
1050Z. Instead, the loudest SP was about S5 with my 5 El yagi and signals very
slowly improved from then until the peak around 1315-1400Z.

I couldn't run many stations on 20M. Most were run on CW, but I did catch a
quick 4 Q's on phone in the last hour. This contest is a lot of fun when condx
are better. I look forward to trying again when 15 and 10M are open.