[3830] WPX SSB P40A(KK9A) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, john@p40a.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB P40A(KK9A) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 18:43:43 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: P40A
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: P40A

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Aruba
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:  194
   40:  730
   20: 1813
   15: 1441
   10:    4
------------

Club:

Comments:

The WPX Phone contest is a lot of fun and since I had not participated in it
since 2005, I was especially excited about the event.  I started on 20m where I
made 94 QSOs in 40 minutes before the band started to close.  I then switched to
40m and the rates were slow, about 75 QSOs per hour, for the following 2 1/2
hours.  Later that night it picked up a little until the early morning when I
took my first off time.  I really was not tired so I watched TV and had a small
snack.   On Saturday morning conditions were good into Europe on 15m and 20m and
in the afternoon I had a fantastic opening into the US on these bands along with
another great opening into Europe on 20m.  My best rate was on Saturday
afternoon on 15m where I made 238 QSOs in 60 minutes.  During the second night,
low band conditions seemed better and I wish I had used up more of my off time
on the previous night.  I took about eight hours off on the second night and I
made a spaghetti dinner and had some local Balashi beer.  I slept pretty well.
When I awoke the sun was out and 20m was again in very good shape and shortly
later 15m opened.   I alternated between the two bands until the last 20
minutes when I switched to 40m.  I spent some time hunting for multipliers on
the second radio, especially on Sunday, and I had my highest multiplier total
ever.  My QSO total was down from previous years, but that was expected at the
bottom of the sun spot cycle.  I did make many more double point low band
contacts than usual which really boosted my points.  When the contest ended I
was surprised to see that I had broken the record that ZD88V held since 1993.
I would like to thank everyone for the QSOs.  Please QSL via WD9DZV.

73,
John KK9A
john@p40a.com

Antenna picture on http://www.qrz.com/p40a