[3830] FlQP W8MJ SOABMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w8mj@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [3830] FlQP W8MJ SOABMixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 17:52:38 -0700
                    Florida QSO Party

Call: W8MJ
Operator(s): W8MJ
Station: W8MJ

Class: SOABMixed LP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs): 20
Radios: SO2R

   40:  134     11
   20:  323    350
   15:    1
   10:
--------------------
Total:  458    361  CW Mults = 67  Ph Mults = 66  Total Score = 339,632

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Going into FQP this year I still had some antenna work to do.  During the early
winter/spring the rotor on my 40 meter beam broke (or I should say the brake in
rotor failed) causing the rotor to free wheel on me and wrap the feedline around
the tower to the point it tore the feedline apart.  To make this repair it takes
a little bit of effort.  The 40 meter 2 element beam is an old Telerex 40 on a
14 foot boom with 64 foot elements. The feed point is at the front of the beam
so in order to repair you actually have to unbolt the beam from the mast and
fold it over against the tower so you can get at the front of the beam for
adding the feed line to the tuning hair pins. I took the Thursday off of work
before the contest to fix the beam.  However, the day I took off we ended up
with 30 mph wind gusts.  At 80 feet in the air and using a come a long to
support the beam to work on it, it was to much wind for one guy to handle.  As
I stood at the top of the tower strapped in I finally came to the decision that
this was not a good ideal to try and attempt this repair with this much wind,
and aborted the repair attempt for another day with calmer wind.  Needless to
say that meant operating FQP without the Telerex 40.  So now I had to divert to
the back up plan and use the 2-wire beam at 55 feet on the front tower that I
had repaired 3 weeks earlier.

The day of contest arrived and my only hope was that 20 meters would play well
for me.  I knew while 40 would be ok, it would not allow me to get alot of
stations on the first call like the beam would allow.

At the start my strategy was no different then in other years to CQ on 20 SSB
and work CW on the 2nd rig.  However, for the at the start I worked CW both on
20 and 40 meters for the first 30 minutes, and then switch to 20 SSB and 20 CW.
 I felt like 20 was playing ok, however, I found signals at time to be fairly
loud at times and then weak the next minute with a lot of QSB.   Although I
have to say I was pleased how well 20 stayed opened for me here in the Midwest.
 I thought propagation favored East coast and Southwest considerably more.  Many
times I was waiting my turn to get through on the pileups, when East coast and
Southwest were getting answered before me.  My pleasant surprise was how well
20 meters did play right up to the end of the first day to 0159Z, and continued
right into the 2nd day as well.  Again a lot of QSB at times, but it was opened
for me and overall it did play well.

I cannot say enough about the mobile operations.  Top notch....you could not
ask for better results.  The Mobiles and Rovers were just plain fantastic.  For
those mobiles running Mix operations....great job.  Many thanks for taking the
time to QSY to SSB for making a Q, and giving out a new county on phone.  A big
thanks to K4KG, N4KK, W4AN, NF4A, K1RQ, AND N4PN for doing so.  I missed 1
county on phone for getting the double sweep (Hardy).  While I worked 5 on CW I
could not get anyone to move to SSB.  I missed K4KG in Hardy to move to
SSB....most likely due to propagation at the time.  I just was not hearing him
during the time he was there. Overall, a marvelous job guys....you really make
the FQP a great success with your efforts.  And all of us out of state guys
really appreciate all of your hard efforts in your mobile operations.  That is
what really makes it fun.

I felt the activity on both modes was up compared to last year slightly.  The
acitiviy was good for both days and did keep you busy.  I was actually glued
right in the chair the whole time working people and scaning the band to work
people right up to the very end. Another great great year.  Thanks for being
there for us.  I know the way gas prices are, and that certainly didn't deter
from your efforts of putting on a FB effort.  Also to all those fixed stations
and casual passer byers, you definetly add to all the total effort as well.
Another banner year for FQP in a down cycle.  It is amazing.  Looking forward
to next year already.

Mobiles Worked:

K4KG (62), N4KK (48), K4OJ (44), NF4A (35), NO5W (33), W4AN (31), N4EEB (27),
N4BP (24), KN4Y (21), N4AO (13), W5WMU (13), K1RQ (13), N4PN (12), N4PJ (11),
AD4Z (9), W4ZW (6), KC4HW (4), W4TBB (3).

Unique Calls:

338

Main Rig Q's: 429
2nd Rig Q's:  390