[3830] NewEngQP NT4XT Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, gacuzana@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] NewEngQP NT4XT Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 09:17:34 -0700
                    New England QSO Party

Call: NT4XT
Operator(s): NT4XT
Station: NT4XT

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 6.5

   80:     14
   40:     42
   20:     49       24
   15:
   10:
------------------------
Total:    105       24  Mults = 20  Total Score = 9,594

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

I don't know how many actual mults, it might be at home on the log, so I just
put 20 a number in there, it's likely more.

Lightning struck one house over the weekend before.  Via-- the Cable TV and
CAT-5 cables, my shack computer was waxed, along with an Ether-card upstairs,
Cable-Modem, Router.  Somehow it also hosed the front-end of my trusty Corsair,
I'm thinking the pulse from the hit-- as it the audible BANG of the strike was
loud enough in our house to open the spice cabinet doors upstairs in the
kitchen.  I removed my Pegasus from it's sealed, back from repair box Friday
but it was dead.  Who says lightning doesn't strike twice.  That was a bummer,
certainly unusual coming from the Service I had used at least 3 other
occasions.  So I was left with no real rig.

Many thanks to K4AQ for coming thru and rushing his FT-817 over to me.  In the
mean time I was able to log two dozen Q's on 40m CW with my K-1.

When K4AQ with his 817, it was a crash course in learning to operate a-- does
it all whiz bang wunder-box that does everything with mostly 4 buttons and a
multi-knob.  But I did get it going on enough to get on 80m for a few.  On
Sunday had a bunch of key NEQP hours taken from a GSA Badge Clinic we were
hosting.  It was a good thing (the "Stress Less" badge).  That brought me back
to the final hour of the event in a nice mellow mind-frame.

Highlights for me included any time I worked a mobile station.  Especially I
was impressed when K1KI in one of his many counties dug me out first try when
he was difficult copy for me.  Must have been ESP for him.
Also, busting W1AW pileup on 20 SSB.  That was a kick.  Topped it off with
W1MX, M.I.T., when the contest clock still was reading 00:00 on 40m and THAT
was a real kick.  Thanks to that operator for hanging in there in the final
minute trying to get my unusual callsign.
 As usual, I much enjoyed this contest.  Seems like it's the only one I have
time for these days!  I appreciated the actual RS report from AA1KS on Moose
Island.  Once I was surprised at how difficult it was for one of those super
stations to hear me, dah dah dah--- (But then I realized I was on the 2 - 2.5 W
setting, no wonder, LOL-- it's hard to learn the 817 on the fly).  So that was a
good thing, which prompted me to go searching for a problem and discover the 5W
setting :-)

Looking forward to next year.  Since I got a new faster shack computer, I might
actually delve into simultaneous triple event mode (7 land, InQP, plus neqp, I
see several people ran 3 logs concurrently and did just that).

73,
and thanks again New England for a very classy party!

Darin, NT4XT

102' Cfed doublet inv-U configuration wire suspended 15' above my roof, FT-817
(Thanks again Matt!), manual tuner (my auto tuner won't tune until about 10W
and I had no such exciter available), non interfaced N3FJP log, stock hand mic
and a paddle.