[3830] WPX CW KA3DRR SO(A)AB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW KA3DRR SO(A)AB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 17:52:17 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: KA3DRR
Operator(s): KA3DRR
Station: KA3DRR

Class: SO(A)AB LP
QTH: Ca
Operating Time (hrs): 35

------------
  160:    0
   80:    5
   40:   50
   20:   79
   15:   13
   10:    0
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

CQ WPX CW packed a lot ham radio fun this weekend.

Friday night conditions really got me started in a positive direction despite
lackluster propagation. Luckily both the A- and K-index moved downward
throughout the game. And 20M reflected the bulk of my QSO total as well as 40M
throughout the weekend.

Oceania made a 'big' point difference Friday evening as those King Henry Sixs
like KH7B, KH7X, KH6NF, NH6V, and KH6MB drove my FT100 s-meter deep into the
blue. After sunset on 20M, the New Zealand contingent populated my log like,
ZM1A and ZM2M. On the other hand, Australia followed and I scored my only VK
QSO for the entire contest. I heard but did not work much of South America on
20M this year. Likewise the Carribean was shut down from my location. Heard the
P40s battling it out but not enough punch in 50-watts through the east coast
wall. Heard Asia late Saturday evening however I probably missed the brief
JA-opening because of activity on forty.

Forty meters pumped. Propagation numbers supported the long haul QSO and 40M
lived up to its reputation. I worked several Central and South American
stations on this band. Thank you gentlemen for the much needed '6' that drove
my best ever score. Likewise, everyone in North America was loud and that was a
pleasurable contesting experience while in the SP mode.

Eight meters, on the other hand, surprised me producing only five contacts. The
band, in my estimation, was not in great shape because of the noise. But The
Locust, K6VVA, brought out a smile in the early morning hour on Sunday. Thanks
Rick!

The great solar engine put the kabosh on 15M but I managed at least 13 QSOs and
thanks for those points from Oceania. N5RM was everywhere and it was fun working
NX5M as well.

I closed out the game on 20M and what an exceptional Sporadic E surprise going
into the closing hours. Worked several of the NCCC team like W6OAT [a first for
my contest log] and K9YC that was a big hoot as well. Overall, I'm exhausted and
that's RadioSport at its best.

73, Scot KA3DRR