[3830] WPX CW W8AV SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW W8AV SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 06:25:06 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: W8AV
Operator(s): W8AV
Station: W8AV

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: Ohio
Operating Time (hrs): 18:11

------------
  160:    0
   80:   96
   40:  515
   20:  874
   15:  191
   10:   24
------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Conditions were interesting to say the least!  Twenty was punk during normally
prime run times due to the high absorption here in Ohio, but the band picked up
nicely between 1800 and 2300Z.  Forty was a bit noisy here but I managed a lot
of QSO's and mults on the band.  Eighty was also a surprise. It yielded quite a
few EU stations when I called CQ.  This contest is going to be a lot more fun
when the sun spots return!!!

Most confusing call in the contest, at least for me, was SE5E.  Also had a good
laugh with VE1OP when we worked and I sent him serial number 666.  As I told him
it was just a serial number and not a reflection on him personally!!!!

I had a couple incidents with Murphy during the contest as well.  Lost a power
supply in one of my 930's and had another one that went flaky during the
contest, both of which were on 20 meters.  Thank goodness for having a few
spares around.  Swapping radios took only a couple minutes of my time.