[3830] WPX CW N7IR SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW N7IR SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 10:27:00 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: N7IR
Operator(s): N7IR
Station: N7IR

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:   18
   40:  191
   20:  277
   15:  121
   10:   55
------------

Club: Central Arizona DX Association

Comments:

Rigs:     Elecraft K2 and K3
Antennas: F12 5BA, C3S, EF-240/230; 80m delta loop

First contest using my new K3.  Side by side comparison with the K2 shows that
is it is less fatiguing to listen to in long operating sessions.  Still on the
steep part of the learning curve in optimizing the K3 parameter set, so the few
personal annoyances that showed up will be fixed soon (sidetone clicks and agc
quirks).  I haven't change the firmware from the version (MCU 1.78 and DSP
1.58) that it was shipped with so Elecraft may have addressed both issues by
now.  The strong signal handling capability and ease of operation of the K3 are
very impressive.  The overall gain distribution in the receiver is better than
that of the K2: No external or internal preamp is required for a K9AY receiving
loop on 80 meters to dig weak signals out of the noise (which I couldn't work
with 5 watts ;>).

Band conditions varied from good to terrible.  High noise levels from nearby
thunderstorms on Friday evening made 20 and 40 challenging to say the least.
Had to leave the crankup at 52' until 1800Z the first day due to predicted
thunderstorms, which never showed up.  Still was able to work some of the
louder European stations though.  the second day was much better on both bands.
 In addition a good sporadic-E opening on 10 meters on the second day allowed a
2 hour run that produced a lot of 1 point Qs that weren't there last year.  As
a result this year was the first time since 1995 that my points per Q ratio was
under 2.0 for this contest: 1.97 .  Maybe next year we'll have some solar flux
and DX!

73
Gary, N7IR