[3830] WPX CW WN2O(N2GC) SOAB(TS) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n2gc@aol.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW WN2O(N2GC) SOAB(TS) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 18:45:37 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: WN2O
Operator(s): N2GC
Station: N2GC

Class: SOAB(TS) HP
QTH: NY
Operating Time (hrs): 35.5

------------
  160:    0
   80:   55
   40:  766
   20:  560
   15:  157
   10:   46
------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Equipment: IC756PROIII, AL-1200

Antenna: Fan dipole 40/20/10 @35'

Yes, thats right just a single fan dipole. More on that later.

First though, I would like to thank Helmut DF7VS an Paul N4PN for donating the
new plaques for the "TS" category.  It is a lot of fun being able to compete
with stations using similar setups.  This year (so far from looking at 3830)it
looks like the UBN's will determine the final standings.  Congrats to WT4PF
(N4PN), KZ5D, and N1WR for great scores.

As some of you know, I use all wire antenna's supported by trees.  Besides the
40/20/10 meter fan dipole, I used to have a fan dipole for 80/15 @40' and a 2el
sloping wire yagi for 20/15/10 with the top at about 35'.

A few weeks ago I had to take down the tree that supported the yagi and one end
of the 80/15 dipole.  I had intended to put the 80/15 back up in a different
tree until it accidently came in contact with the chainsaw. Argh!
It has to be rebuilt and I could not get it done in time for the contest.

Leading up to the contest I had planned on just going single band 40 with the
one antenna I had left.  That is until I turned the radio on a half hour before
the contest and heard how quiet the low bands were and how strong the signals
from EU were on 80/40/20.

The contest adrenaline started pumping.  I knew I could load the 40/20/10
easily on 15 with the Xmatch, but could I get it to load on 80 and would anyone
hear me?  A quick check and I could get it to load. I only used about 800W on
that band just to be safe.  All band fun here I come!

As K5ZD says, "There's no meters like ten meters"
Well in WPX CW when the band is quiet and there is no thunderstorms for miles,
"There's no meters like forty meters"

Being able to hear and work the weak ones that are usually covered up with
static crashes on 40 really paid off.  I even worked about 20 EU/AF on 80 with
that non-resonant antenna. I could have worked many more if I had the full size
dipole up as the band was in terrific shape for this time of year.

All in all this contest turned out to be a lot of fun.  Even had time to take
my son to his little league baseball game Saturday morning.

Thanks for all the QSO's.
CU in the RSGB IOTA TEST from NA-026 hopefully with some new antenna's.

73, Mike, N2GC