[3830] ARRL June VHF N8II Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF N8II Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 17:40:19 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  100    63  Total Score = 12,600

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I started out with a very casual effort working stations in between county
hunting QSO's, then the lightening and rain came around 2130Z, and after a
dinner outing got back at it after 2330Z. The only Es was a very weak W5PR not
wokred. PVRC CW activity was quite a pleasant surprise. I'd guess Sunday
morning my arrival was just about perfectly coordinated with the start of the
Es opening around 1230Z. W5PR quickly went into the log and was the beacon
signal of the day; no wonder he finished on the top of the heap on 6M. Once in
mid-afternoon, he was S7 without another Es signal on the band. The band was
open to very south FL for much of the morning with just a few signals from that
direction. The 5's were plentiful from LA, AR, and many TX and OK stations. The
EM16-36 tier was about the northern limit of the opening here, but multi-hop ES
was worked into DM78,79, 53. Best DX was KS7S on CW in DM31 SW AZ which was a
new all time grid. I missed any Caribbean that might have slipped in. Despite
the low total, I worked really hard on searching for mults and quite a few were
found on CW that were never heard on phone. Long live CW!
Finally skip shortened to FL around 16Z and I was able to run well for the
first time on phone. As I recall, this was my best ARRL VHF effort, nothing
worth bragging about but my station is pretty poor and the rain caused high SWR
by affecting the matching stub of the 5 el short boom yagi which dried up just
was the opening was drying up as well. There was a vestige of already worked
Texans thru most of the afternoon.