[3830] ARRL June VHF VE3CVG Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3cvg@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF VE3CVG Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 13:33:17 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  163    81  Total Score = 15,957

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Every contest has its own personality and this was no exception. The bands
(except 6m) seemed generally flat throughout the contest. Interestingly there
were a few brief periods when propagation picked up on the higher bands (903
and 1296). 6M was teasing a lot Saturday but really opened up nicely on Sunday
into southern USA and later into the mid-central states. It was a pleasure to
work several 20 station pile ups. Unfortunately numerous electrical storms
limited my operating time on Sunday.

Local turnout was noticeably down, there were no local big rovers, and several
of the contest operators were taking part in the VE3WCC grid expedition. Thank
goodness for the 6m opening.

Some noteworthy events: Sunday evening I worked Barrie at VE3LCA in Perth on
222MHz, which we had missed earlier due to some technical problems. He was
particularly strong on 222 so we decided to try 1296 even though he had not
worked anyone else and thought he had a problem with his equipment. When we
tried 1296, he was an easy contact and heard me equally well.

Near the end of the contest, Dave VE3AAQ and I were jawing and lamenting the
typically quiet last hour of the contest, when VE2JWH called me on CW from
Granby. When I turned the antennas his way he was booming in, so we switched to
phone, then easily worked on 2m, 432MHz, 1296MHz, 903MHz, and 222MHz. We
finished on 222 at 2259 local (just as the contest ended). Terrific - thanks
Jimmy.

Looking forward to September.
73.
Rick VE3CVG