[3830] IARU N6TV SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6tv@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] IARU N6TV SO CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 05:35:04 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: N6TV
Operator(s): N6TV
Station: N6TV

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:    14            5       1
   80:   153           15      10
   40:   710           34      15
   20:   694           35      32
   15:   184           20      15
   10:    24            7       0
-------------------------------------
Total:  1779    0     116      73  Total Score = 1,051,029

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

My first contest using CW Skimmer 1.2 with a Perseus SDR (no SoftRocks here).
Using CW Skimmer can be more fun than the old-fashioned way of doing things.  I
worked almost every multiplier by "Skimming" or CQing, just to see what it could
do.  What a pleasure it was not to manually tune past duplicate after duplicate
when looking for new stations to call.

Now, it's far from perfect, often spotting calls like M5WMU (instead of W5WMU),
but these were relatively easy to deal with once I got used to ignoring them.

As for the contest, a combination of no sunspots and a K-index as high as 5
does
not make for good conditions, though there certainly was plenty of CW activity
anyway.  My score did improve compared to last year when I didn't have CW
Skimmer or an automated SO2R box.  I had 125 more QSOs and 19 more mults.