[3830] IARU KH7B(K4XS) SO SSB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Subject: [3830] IARU KH7B(K4XS) SO SSB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 12:06:56 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: KH7B
Operator(s): K4XS
Station: KH7XS

Class: SO SSB HP
QTH: KH6
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:
   80:          145    24       8
   40:          473    29      11
   20:         1627    42      37
   15:          300    17       4
   10:           35     4       0
-------------------------------------
Total:   0     2580   116      60  Total Score = 2,189,088

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

First time I have done the IARU since 2001 and that was part of the FCG W1AW/4
operation, and first time from KH6.  It is a very different contest from out
here.  Those bucketloads of zone 8 1-pointers now are 5-pointers.  You can run
JA and Chinese stations, but EU runs are a rarity.  I still hae a big problem
tuning my ears to the BA accent....very hard to understand some of these ops
even without QRM.

I got the M2 40m Yagi finally set on a rotator the day before the contest, so
was competitive on 10-80 for this one, but still have no antenna for 160.  I
also still am not set up for SO2R and this also hurt the score.

Getting up at 1 AM to start a contest at 2 AM is kinda strange.  20 was pretty
much toast, the A and the K were up, so 40 and 80 were the only place to go.

Started out in the "window" we have in KH6 from 7075 to 7100 and ran a good
100+ hour and switched back and forth between it and 80 until 20 opened.  From
there it was off to the races with hordes of W/K stations calling.  The overall
rate never dipped below 100/hr for the entire contest although it got close
during mid day on Saturday.  20 from 4 PM to 6 PM was huge with a big pile W/K
stations calling.  Many of these were "Sunday drivers" who had to have their
hands held to get a report, so that slowed the rate down a bit

15 was so-so during the day with no EU and a light representation of Asia/US
and VK/ZL.  10 pretty much stunk with no stations east of the Mississippi, just
some E-skip to W6 mostly.

20 was huge Saturday night with great runs of Asian mixed with HQ stations
calling in and some garden variety EU calling.

Finished the last few hours running W/K in the US phone band and then fighting
the huge QRM in the 7075-7100 40 meter band, trying to generate JA runs and
picking up mults and then finally dropping down to 80 CQing and fishing for
mults.  The last hour pretty well was the low spot of the contest with the rate
meter running a 50 hour.

It seemed like conditions improved over the weekend.  There were times I didn't
miss my SO2R at all during the 150-200 hours on 20. But when thing were dragging
at the end of the contest, and during mid day when 20 was pretty much out and 15
and 10 were just fair, the SO2R really would have helped pass the time and been
productive.

Next year I should have the tower loaded for 160 and have some sort of SO2R set
up.  I'll be back for a full 24 hour effort.  It was fun!