[3830] IARU W5ZL(@N5AW) SO Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU W5ZL(@N5AW) SO Mixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 06:06:08 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: W5ZL
Operator(s): W5ZL
Station: N5AW

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:   11      1
   80:  131     35
   40:  245     44
   20:  385    221
   15:  101     56
   10:    2      1
-------------------------------------
Total:  875    358     0        0  Total Score = 642,879

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

My Old Man told me it would be important for me to someday have â??friends in
high placesâ??. I, of course, took him literally, and for the past few years a
childhood ham friend who now owns a phenomenal hill overlooking a whole lot of
the Central Texas hill country) has very generously invited me and Bob W5EK,
whom Iâ??ve also known since I was eleven years old, to take over Casa
Bloomquist for IARU weekend. For that and all that comes with having Marv N5AW
and Judy as friends Iâ??m incredibly blessed. Thanks, guys. Bob and I had a
great time as always this weekend doing our best imitations of â??realâ??
contesters, and really appreciate your sharing your beautiful ranch and antenna
amenities with us once again.

Just a note, when we got out to the shack late Friday afternoon it was 99
degrees inside (just a degree or so warmer than outside), and the A/C wasnâ??t
working. Bob and I set up our respective single op positions (he enters SOLP CW
under his call, and I run SOLP mixed under mine, sharing antennas and shack
space with our own Pro IIâ??s) with sweat dripping from every pore. We
literally had to go outside to cool down, and it was looking like a miserably
uncomfortable IARU ahead â?? in fact, I wasnâ??t altogether sure it wouldnâ??t
be better to just load everything back up in the car and retreat to Austin. We
took a break and went into town for dinner Friday night and then returned to
the shack for some last tweaks before retiring to the main house where the A/C
was fine. As we were about to walk down the hill Chuck KB5YKJ showed up and
said he would fix the A/C at the shack. Is this good service or what??!! Marv
had called Chuck from his Colorado vacation home (N5AW/0) to ask if he could
help resolve the problem, and next thing we knew it was history â?? as were
probably a few thousand fire ants that had chosen to take up residence in the
relay box out by the compressor. Chuck, youâ??re now officially an IARU Legend!

Summary â?? 24 hours (though Iâ??m not sure I was all there for the last two
hours â?? how DO these guys do 48?????)
No internet or other assistance (other than KB5YKJ fixing the A/C)
Radio â?? IC-756 Pro II
All Marvâ??s wonderful antennas divided by two
N1MM logging software
No SO2R or other fancy stuff (except a USB WinKey)
Terry AB5Kâ??s individual band pass filters (which we basically didnâ??t end up
using, as we never had interstation interference of consequence.

I'm sure there's a place in N1MM that splits out Zones and HQ Mults but I don't
see it. It reports that I had 183 "Secs", which may be a blend of zones and HQ
mults, but I'm not sure, so I left those fields blank in the 3830 form.

Incidentally, W5EKâ??s SOLP CW totals were quite good considering I was the one
with primary controls of which antennas were routed to which radios, meaning he
generally got short shrift. I donâ??t have the specifics of bands/Qâ??s/mults,
but Bob had a total of 653 Qâ??s for 1938 points (2.97 pts/Q) and 161 sections,
scoring 312K and change.