[3830] CQWW VHF W7CE SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w7ce@curtiss.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF W7CE SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:26:47 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: W7CE
Operator(s): W7CE
Station: W7CE

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CN87oa
Operating Time (hrs): 12.7
Radios: SO2R

    6:  169    48
    2:   53    16
-------------------
Total:  222    64  Total Score = 17,600

Club: Pacific Northwest VHF Society

Comments:

Conditions were better than last year and not as good as the year before.  I
didn't intend to put in a serious effort this year, and was on the phone with
Paul, K7CW for the first 20 minutes of the contest.  The band was showing signs
of opening up and we had good West Coast Es propagation for the next 2-1/2
hours.  After that it was in and out.  I took a break Saturday afternoon and
took my wife and in-laws out to dinner to celebrate my Father-in-Law's
birthday.  After that, there were no more Es openings the rest of the weekend.

Tropo conditions from British Columbia down to Southern Oregon were fantastic
most of the weekend.  Stations that would normally be S1-2 were coming in S5 to
S9 for most of the contest.  Mike, KB7ME, operated portable from DN02 (580
km/360 miles away) and could be copied on both 6 and 2M most of the time.  At
times he was S9 on 2M.  Also had good tropo into DN17 and worked W7MEM on both
6 and 2 with excellent signals.

I've added WSJT capability since last year and worked five 6M meteor scatter
contacts on Sunday morning, as well as a 2M EME contact with K5QE, resulting in
3 multipliers that I wouldn't have had otherwise.

My station consists of an IC-756ProIII/Command VHF-2000 (1500W) and M2 6M7JHV
antenna at 45' on 6M, and an IC-746/Commander II (800W) and M2 2M18XXX at 41'
on 2M.

All in all, an enjoyable contest.  I had a lot more fun than in the contests
where I push myself to make every last Q.

73,
Clay  W7CE