[3830] CQWW VHF WA1Z SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bob@wa1z.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF WA1Z SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 18:09:48 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: WA1Z
Operator(s): WA1Z
Station: WA1Z

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: FN42
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:  112    39
    2:   15     8
-------------------
Total:  127    47  Total Score = 6,674

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

6 Meters:
Elecraft K3
Fixed 4 elements @ 45' to SW
Rotatable 5 elements @ 25'

2 Meters:
Icom IC-746PRO
13 elements @ 20'

I got on mostly to play with the K3 on 6 Meters.  I didn't receive the radio in
time for what appears to have been the Summer Sporadic E peak here in New
England in late June.  While certainly not terrible, the receiver could benefit
from additional pre-amplification on 6 Meters, so I'm looking forward to seeing
the new Elecraft 6 Meter preamp hit the market at some point.

Unfortunately, conditions didn't allow me to really give the radio a good
workout.  So far, though, my first general impressions of it are very, very
positive!  I'm really looking forward to playing with it on the low bands later
this year.

After 4 hours of working mostly local stations on Saturday, I acquiesced to my
lovely XYL to go out to dinner.  Sitting in the restaurant, I mused that a
multi-hop opening would be guaranteed while we were out.  Sure enough, one of
the first signals I heard when we got back was from a DM grid in CA!

The lesson:  I need to purchase iron pants before the pre-amp. :-)

73,
Bob WA1Z