[3830] ARRL FD W9CA 3A LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N9CO@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD W9CA 3A LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 16:14:22 -0700

  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:   500      0     0
----------------------------
Total:  2815   1971     0  Total Score = 17,552

Club: CorTek Radio Association

Comments:

The final score reflects the 2350 bonus points.  The GOTA station (K9RN) qso
totals are in the 24GHz column.

Wow... what a FD.  After 5 years of good weather during FD, we got hammered
with a nasty t-storm that really made it a challenge to hear.  S9 plus 20 dB
noise levels were common at times, for longer that we'd like, on all HF bands.
We were forced to completely shut down for what seemed like hours, but in
reality, were only 10 minute periods.  To add insult to injury, Murphy made a
visit in grand style, following on the coat tails of the weather.  A massive
downpour of rain during one of the t-storms, coupled with straight-line winds
of pretty hefty velocity, loosened one of the 4 guy stakes on one of our two
prized AB-602 military surplus 8 inch diameter "rocket launcher" masts.  Down
came our TH7 that was nestled at 50 feet.  Fortunately, we had a second,
although smaller, tribander up, a Hy-Gain Explorer 14, that we pressed into
service on 20cw.  This left us in a serious bind, as our ssb station now didn't
have an antenna for 20m.  This being FD, we tried to adapt as best as possible.
We didn't operate 20 ssb until Sunday morning, and were able to use the 140' 80m
ladder-line fed dipole on 20.  It worked surprising well.  Most of our 15m ssb
qso's were made with a 2el 40m yagi.  Our CW qso's are down this year as 3 of
our usual cw stalwarts had to cancel right before FD.  We made do with what we
had, in terms of equipment, antennas, and operators.  Still, everyone had a
great time and can't wait to do it again next year.

It would be rude of me to not acknowledge the fantastic results posted by one
of our 3A competitors, the Rochester (NY) DX Assocation, W2RDX.
Congratulations on the great effort.  Your score improvement over last year is
phenomenal.  Savor the victory.  We've enjoyed all of ours.

73 and thanks, everyone, for all the QSO's and fun!

Charlie  N9CO