[3830] IOTA DL5XL/P SO24CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dl5xl@rrdxa.de
Subject: [3830] IOTA DL5XL/P SO24CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 13:53:31 -0700
                    IOTA Contest

Call: DL5XL/P
Operator(s): DL5XL
Station: DL5XL/P

Class: SO24CW HP
QTH: Helgoland (EU-127)
Operating Time (hrs): 24.0

   80:   244      40      0        0
   40:   426      50      0        0
   20:   539      38      0        0
   15:   169      20      0        0
   10:   181      23      0        0
Total:  1559     171      0        0  Total Score = 1,462,563

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

It's been six years since I last operated from Helgoland Island in the IOTA
contest, and it sure was great to be back. As poor conditions had to be
expected, I decided to use a beam antenna and high power, even though this
meant that about 100 kilograms of freight had to be shipped to the island.
Luckily, DF6QC and DG1BBU were there to help with the setup of the antennas.
Conditions throughout the contest were as bad as expected (or even worse), but
the high level of activity in Europe really helped to keep one busy. A few
hours after the start of the contest, I suddenly noticed an intermittent SWR on
the beam antenna. It turned out that one of the traps was damaged. As I did not
want to lose too much operating time, I decided to continue on the "Windom"
type wire antenna. This worked quite well for me on 20m, but was not feasible
on 15m, as the antenna was not designed for that band. Luckily, the 10m band
performance of my beam was not affected by the faulty trap, so I still had good
antennas for four of the five bands used in the contest. In the end, I lost
quite a few QSOs and multipliers on 15m, but managed to keep up a rate of more
than 64 QSOs per hour throughout the entire contest, so I really had fun! I was
even able to exceed the result of my last contest participation from Helgoland
in 2002 by a small margin (before log checking, that is). I'd like to thank
RSGB for organizing this fun event! After the contest, I still had a day left
to enjoy the hot summer weather at the beach before I returned to my home QTH.