[3830] ARRL UHF K2DRH Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k2drh@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL UHF K2DRH Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 16:07:48 -0700
                    ARRL UHF Contest

Call: K2DRH
Operator(s): K2DRH
Station: K2DRH

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EN41 IL
Operating Time (hrs): 22

  222:   67    41
  432:  104    47
  903:   41    31
  1.2:   59    36
  2.3:   27    23
  3.4:   17    16
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  315   194  Total Score = 318,354

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Wow, what a difference a year makes.  This UHF contest had really excellent
propagation for almost the entire contest.  It was really hot and dry on
Saturday. Conditions to the north were really good and kept building all
afternoon.  Successful runs with stations and rovers up to 300 miles away were
commonplace and extended out past 400 miles on all bands up to 3456 as the
evening cooled off.  While afternoon runs with station at further distances
usually stopped at 1296, making skeds for later definitely paid off and the
higher bands could usually be worked then.  I finally went to bed well after
2AM with over 100K points in the log because there just werenâ??t any more
stations left to work.  I worked several of the Rovermania rovers, but once
again W0ZQ/R and W9FZ/R were there where they said they would be pretty much
when they said they would be and the most consistent.  Having a schedule,
listening frequency and the six digit grid locations ahead of time I was able
to point right at them on 432 made getting their attention a lot easier.  For
me, thatâ??s as good as being able to use APRS!  With Bruce and John we swept
all the bands we had in common in all the grids they visited on Saturday.

I got up again before 5AM and started working stations gain almost immediately.
   W9FZ/R was right there and ready and we swept again.  The band wasnâ??t as
good to the north as it was the night before, but the conditions to the south
and the east were way better.  I worked K8MD, K3SIW and WW8M to the east over
300 miles on all bands through 3456, sometimes 30 and 40 over!  Then the rains
came.  A big slow moving thunderstorm shut me down for an hour right in the
middle of the best UHF band conditions I think Iâ??ve ever seen in a contest.
I missed W0ZQ/R in a new grid out about 300 miles because I had to be off the
air.  Things cooled off a lot to the north and east after it moved through, and
K2YAZ in EN74 and I struggled to work up to 3456.  But the enhancement stayed
good to the south.   I found N8UM in EM85 up to 1296, W4ZRZ in EM63 (600 miles)
and K4XR in EM64 up to 1296, and worked AG4V in EM55 (450 miles) up through 3456
(3456 was on SSB)!  And while W9FZ/R and I swept all bands in all grids for a
second day in a row, I missed W0ZQ/R completely in two grids due to the
thunderstorm and conditions.  As the day wore on the enhancement got weaker and
by the last hour of the contest it was pretty dead.  I worked only two stations
in the last hour, W9FZ/R on 5 bands and K9LQZ in EM68 for a new grid.   But it
was a great contest and I almost doubled my previous personal best score.