[3830] WAE CW N5AW Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n5aw@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] WAE CW N5AW Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 20:53:21 -0700
                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: N5AW
Operator(s): N5AW
Station: N5AW

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 14
Radios: SO2R

   80:    2          1(4)
   40:   76        23(69)
   20:  149        36(72)
   15:   15        12(24)
   10:
-------------------------
Total:  242   241     169  Total Score = 81,627

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Seeing the great LP scores of N1BAA, WJ9B and K1XM really drives home how tough
it is for us in the Central USA to compete with the East Coast in DX contests.
Even with high power and a full 36 hours I don't think I could have made half
their scores. Low bands, even 20 at times, were very noisy. Was occasionally
able to run but really tough to copy the weak stations - about 2/3 of my
contacts were S&P and if you have to resort to that it does not take long to
run out of guys to work. Only heard three Europeans through the static on 80 -
felt lucky to work two. Nearly all of the 15 meter contacts were a struggle -
not a very good opening but happy to get anything. Some very good operators in
Europe - amazing ability to copy the QTC's with few repeats. No spotting
network used - probably cost me a few multipliers but other obligations in
prime time cost me more. Still, an enjoyable contest but look forward to having
some sunspots - maybe next year?

Equipment: Orion and K3 100 watts. Stacked C3 (2 element) tribanders at 30 and
23 meters. 3L SteppIR @ 40m. Homebrew 40 meter Moxon at 42m. 80m dipole array.