[3830] WAE CW N3RD(@N3RS) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n3rd@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] WAE CW N3RD(@N3RS) M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 17:56:56 -0700
                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: N3RD
Operator(s): N3RD, N3RS, W8FJ
Station: N3RS

Class: M/S HP
QTH: PA
Operating Time (hrs): 36

   80:  187    70   140
   40:  518   450   129
   20:  693   680   100
   15:  276    51    78
   10:   44     0    38
-------------------------
Total: 1718  1251   485  Total Score = 1,439,965

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

This was a fun contest.  We always enjoy the WAE CW, since the QTC strategy and
great European CW operators makes for an enjoyable time.  This year we were
trying out the new Elecraft K3s, and we were very happy with their
performance.

Without and excess of operators, we decided to take some rest over Friday
night, when we thought that the bands had more or less closed.  This was a
mistake, as I overslept the 20m opening, which cost us an advantage that we had
gained in the first 8 hours.  Saturday was a hard push, but we missed the brief
opening on 10m.

Sunday found us still behind in serial number to our friendly competition and
neighbor K9RS.  We were ready for the race to the finish line, but as the
morning wore on, the atmospheric noise from the approaching storm increased,
making copy of all but the strongest signals difficult, with many repeats
required, and a few abandoned QSOs due to inability to copy the serial number
through the static crashes.  One positive was not missing the 10m sporatic E
opening that occurred between 12-14Z, basically making up for missing it on
Saturday.

The contest came to an unfortunate end for us at 18Z when power was lost due to
the severe weather conditions in the area.  This is why the "Operating Time" is
so low at 36 hours.  It would have made for an interesting finish, but it was
not to be.  Next year!

Thanks to Sig N3RS and Maryann for allowing me the use of the station and for
the great hospitality, and to John W8FJ who joined us for the overnight shift
Saturday.  Also to DARC for sponsoring one of our favorite contests.

73 - Dave N3RD