[3830] OhQP KL8DX SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kl8dx@livingindenali.net
Subject: [3830] OhQP KL8DX SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 21:47:43 -0700
                    Ohio QSO Party

Call: KL8DX
Operator(s): KL8DX
Station: KL8DX

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Alaska
Operating Time (hrs): 5

   80:
   40:
   20:   53     3
   15:
   10:
--------------------
Total:   53     3  CW Mults = 3  Ph Mults = 43  Total Score = 5,014

Club:

Comments:

I was hoping for better bands but once again, it was not to happen.
The only band I could hear any Ohio activity on was 20 meters. I
worked several mobiles with W9MSE giving me 10 counties! W8TK was
next with 5 counties followed by K8MR and W1NN for 3. I managed 2
counties with W8AV.

Lots of QSB on the band and I watched many signals fade and come
back throughout the day. Once the path to Ohio closed, I kept going
to the low bands but nothing heard here.

Highlights were working many familiar callsigns from my northern
Ohio days. First contact right out of the bag was with my old
neighbor across the bay, W8CAR. I was also excited to work my long
time friend and CW Elmer Ed, K8QWY.  Ed and I spent many a night up
chasing DX and talking on 2 meters!  I managed to work W8IDM for
Ottawa County, my old county of residence when I lived in the
Lakeside-Marblehead area.

My operating was 99.8% S&P and the few calls I made, a few of the
non Ohio stations heard the 8 in my callsign and called me. Probably
did confuse a few if they did not catch the "KL" portion of my call.

A BIG AK thanks to all the mobiles. At today's gas prices, that is
sure dedication. One gas station north of me in the small town of
Healy, is selling unleaded at $5.69 a gallon. It seems to be dropping
everywhere but here.

Wished I could have worked more bands but propagation decided
otherwise. Hopefully next year.  Thanks for the patience pulling my
weak northern signal out of the mud. Many of the mobiles got my
information on the first attempt! You guys are running some good set
ups! Also a special thanks to the sponsors.

Phil KL8DX
Denali National Park, AK
EX: KE8RO