[3830] CQ WW RTTY K7IA SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7ia@starband.net
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY K7IA SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 23:14:05 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: K7IA
Operator(s): K7IA
Station: K7IA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: New Mexico
Operating Time (hrs): 17.33

   80:  136   176       42      15    14
   40:  181   257       42      29    18
   20:  327   656       42      58    22
   15:
   10:
Total:  644  1089      126     102    54  Total Score = 307,098

Club:

Comments:

My first CQ WW RTTY effort.  It took so long to homebrew an interface cable
between the K3 and the microKEYER that I thought I owed it to myself to give it
a run.  Busy with other things around the QTH, I planned to play RTTY for only a
few hours at random times during the weekend.  However, the action was both
brisk and fun, indicating that the improvements in the antenna farm earlier
this year were well worth it.  Thus, I played for far longer than I had
planned.

The QTH is not completely a "Ham's Dream."  Although we have space (140+ acres)
and electrically silent conditions (we're off-grid on a homebrew photovoltaic
system in the SW New Mexico outback), the RF view is not a good one.  We're in
a north-south canyon whose ridgetops both east and west at 10-12 degrees above
the antenna farm.  The access road runs atop the west ridgeline, so whenever we
come home from a town trip, I check out the antennas by looking DOWN at them!
It's with some amazement that any worthwhile signals get out, but nearly
everyone answers my S&P call, and I can usually hold a run frequency if I'm QRO
(that's 600 watts for me--the sunshine cannot keep the battery happy with higher
power levels!

I'm pleased with the results.  Thanks Steve, N2IC, and Kathy for your help with
planting the tower (N6ZZ's) and the 4el SteppIR yagi!

To the experienced TTY contesters--thanks for the Q's and for the fun!  I'm
planning a full effort next year!

73, Dan Murphy

Equipment lineup:

K3 & microKEYER  (Say!  The K3's "Dual Bandpass" DSP filtration for RTTY is not
just a gimmick!  It not only makes life easier for MMTTY, but it also separates
two interleaved RTTY signals.  Thanks, Elecraft!

N1MM & MMTTY

4 el SteppIR with 30/40 meter loop @ 52 feet (could go higher, but the reduced
takeoff angle would likely cause excessive warming of our scenic ridgelines!
Sure glad volcanic "soil" isn't very conductive!)

SteppIR vertical (66 radials) for 40-10m for omnidirectional band checking and
for "where is he, anyway?"

vee for 80 meters