[3830] CQ WW RTTY WX4TM SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wx4tm@tm-moore.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY WX4TM SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 07:51:12 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: WX4TM
Operator(s): WX4TM
Station: WX4TM

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: AL
Operating Time (hrs): 28
Radios: SO2R

   80:  312   437       48      29    14
   40:  505   759       52      54    23
   20:  847  2009       45      70    25
   15:   28    58        7      12    11
   10:    0     0        0       0     0
Total: 1692  3263      152     165    73  Total Score = 1,272,570

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

First attempt at SO2R, with good successs at 40/80M combo. Have pretty good
antenna separation with these two antennas. But w/o stubs or filters, other
combos were difficult at best. However, at end of Friday nite effort, use of
SO2R fully accounted for 20 percent of score. Got lazy Sat night and didn't do
quite as well. It was not difficult nor did it require a lot of skill! (Won't
go into my stance on favoring separate SO2R category here). Need more toys!
Also need to re-look at my strategy. Was ok with QSO totals but short on
multi's.

Bands were in surprisingly good shape but I was disappointed in my 15M
effort/lack of success. Listened to 10M several times but heard nothing.

Big thanks to all who worked me especially those who took time and patience
under sometimes difficult/trying conditions. Was great to see so many new
calls. In all of contesting, RTTY ops are by far the best; with JA ops the best
of the best.

73 de Tom WX4TM

Setup:
FT2K w/QRO Amp set at 150W (using amp ALC and lower input from radio) Ran cool
as a cucumber!
FT MarkV @ 80W
TH5 Beam @ 85ft
TH5 Beam @ 50ft
80M Dipole @ 65ft - was better than expected.
80/160 inv L - not used - prob shud have at least tried it.
full size 40M Vertical @ 40 ft w/8 elevated radials - the workhorse!
40M dipole at 50ft - not used, probably should have some.
80/40 fan dipole cut for phone bands - not used
K9AY Rec loop in the making but not avail for use yet (electronics on the
way).
SO2R using single PC w/4 com ports and WL software - no hiccups. But have some
issues with saving the setups in WL ini file.
RigblasterPro Interface on both radios
SixPak and DX Engineering antenna switches
Biggest problem with doing SO2R had been my inability to differeniate audio
between the two radios.  Tried different combos of split speakers and split
headsets to no avail. They both sounded the same no matter what I did.  Then
finally set 2nd radio to use low tones! Wa La! All was well.