[3830] Oceania SSB WH2D(K3UOC) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k3uoc@aol.com
Subject: [3830] Oceania SSB WH2D(K3UOC) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 04:34:10 -0700
                    Oceania DX Contest, Phone

Call: WH2D
Operator(s): K3UOC
Station: WH2D

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Guam
Operating Time (hrs): 6

  160:    0     0
   80:    0     0
   40:    0     0
   20:   25    20
   15:  310   127
   10:   68    40
-------------------
Total:  403   187  Total Score = 158,763

Club: St. John's School ARC

Comments:

Yes, it was fun like always, but I wasn't quite ready for the contest this year.
 On Friday, I replaced the coax run from the GP antenna because the old run had
been damaged by the elements.  I ran the RG8X through PVC tube this time -- all
110' foot of it.  Then I hooked up the new (used) IC-2KL auto-tune linear and
there were bugs galore that needed worked out with that old workhorse.  The
linear did a nice job for me on 15M, but I realized the first time I went to 10
that the amp had not been modified for 10M!  OK, I worked around that.  Then,
even with the new coax, the SWR on the GP was sky high on 20M and 40M.  The
salt air here on the cliff overlooking Tumon Bay reeks havoc with antennas.  So
now the GP must come down this week for a good cleaning.  ODXC CW is coming up
all too soon!  Regardless, I doubled my score from last year with the help of
our JA colleagues.  No NA or SA contacts this year but several small openings
to EU to keep things interesting.  Congrats to Aki, operating from WH2DX as
AH2J for a great SOAB performance.  If I don't miss my guess, the SOAB crown
this year will pass from VK to KH2.  It was a pleasure meeting up with so many
old friends over the course of the ODXC contest.  Thanks for the FB contacts.
QSL WH2D via K3UOC, via the buro, or via LoTW.

73,
Mike
K3UOC @ WH2D