[3830] CaQP WA6L SOFixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wa6l@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CaQP WA6L SOFixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 08:11:28 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: WA6L
Operator(s): WA6L
Station: WA6L

Class: SOFixed LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 3

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:   64
   15:   13
   10:
    6:
    2:
--------------------
Total:   77     0  Mults = 33  Total Score = 7,623

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

I had a county expedition to Imperial County for weeks.   I got up early
Saturday morning and drove to my spot -- a beautiful overlook off highway S2.

The problems started right away.  The wind was blowing so hard that I could
barely open my truck door.  There was absolutely no way I could keep an antenna
in the air.  Bummer.

On my way back home, I found a nice little community park.  It was somewhat
sheltered from the wind.  It was not a great place from a propagation
standpoint, but it had picnic tables with shade and it looked like a decent
compromise.

I was about 40 minutes late starting the contest due to the change of location.
 I got everything set up and started calling CQ.  My first contact was with Ben
from the K6QK team, also in Imperial County.  My next contact came from KH6LC
in Hawaii.  "Cool!" I thought.  "This is going to work."

The next sound I heard was a large "Crack" as a gust of wind snapped my
Jacklite pole in half.  So much for the sheltered park.

I was rather bummed.  I took everything down and headed home.  I didn't turn my
rig on at all the rest of Saturday, but Sunday mid-morning I got on my home
station.  I set the keyer for 20 wpm and trolled for slow CW and casual
contesters.  Surprisingly, there were still a lot of stations on the air
looking for San Diego.

Well, one of the great things about Ham Radio is that you learn something new
every day.  Next year will be different.  I have an idea to use an aluminum
extension ladder as my antenna support instead of the Jacklite (this is the
second Jacklite I have broken).   Imperial County will be heard!

73,

John, WA6L