[3830] CaQP N8II SOFixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8ii@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CaQP N8II SOFixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 08:56:43 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOFixed LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): ~17

  160:    0      0
   80:   26      9
   40:   74     44
   20:  140    269
   15:   22      7
   10:    0      0
    6:
    2:
--------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Contesting at the bottom of the cycle is definitely more challening and
frustrating. I S&P'ed more than ever before in CQP and probably put out the
most effort, but the bottom line was considerably lower than best score in
better years. 15 never opened Saturday to CA; I wasted about 3 minutes or so
tuning around listening to Europeans off the back of the beam well into the
afternoon. 20 was decent from the start until about 2010Z, then signals had
weakened to the point where running was difficult then darned near impossible
after a slow run from 2115-2145Z. At 23Z, my susnet, 40 was in better shape
than 20! I worked far more Q's on 40 and 75/80 than ever before and broke a few
pile-ups easily stopping for the night at 0345Z with a fist full of 444 Q's.
Almost all 80 and 40M Q's were S&P, just not loud enough to run. 40 peaked in
the 24Z hour and 80 wasn't open well until around 03Z at which time the
activity seemed to have shifted to that band.
  I operated very little until around 1520Z Sunday; 40 was in good shape well
past sunrise until around 1315Z. 20 was verrry slooow to open and wasn't in
good shape until 1730Z. It was very frustrating to listen to the competiton in
the Midwest running stations merrily I could barely copy or not copy at all;
this was the low point of the weekend. I also have S5 line noise to contend
with which cost completion of several Q's; the QSB was slow and deep at times.

The only decent run of the day was about 25 Q's around 18Z; other than that it
was S&P and run just a few; there were lot's of unanswered CQ's. 15 opened for
real (made 3 Q's one at time earlier) around 19Z and stayed open to 2045Z, but
not to the same areas. Only very Southern CA and near the coast primarily was
available for most of the opening; towards the end it moved north up the
coast.
Imperial and Lang were about the loudest. No CQ's were answered.
  I completed the sweep pretty early being called by N6BOB in Sutter at 1955Z
for #56, W6DSG called from Sierra at 2130, and I found K6ME in Lassen at 2308Z
in an unexpected place with a # in the 30's for the sweep; he was my only QSO
with Lassen! I'm guessing one of the mobiles passed thru there. I had at least
2 Q's with all the others.
  There were times when the mobiles were too weak to be heard on 20 (like
Sunday morning and past 22Z Saturday); should have done better but only caught
K6AQL 8 times and W6OAT 6 times. I did a pretty good job of keeping the big
guns suppilef with Q's: N6O 8 (missed on 160, but heard them well), W6YI, W6YX,
and K6EZ 7, and with 6 Q's each K6NA, K6VO, and N6KI.
  I didn't hear as many "newbies" as I expected probably due to the lack of
much on 15 and marginal condx on 20 with QRM. There were a few lids out there;
my favorite being the guy who said "now ready for QSO number 321 from Mo...
County" after every QSO! But, there are far more really great ops in the CQP,
than your average state QP. The really good ops caught the 15M opening and were
on the low bands at the right time. Thanks to the NCCC for sponsoring and
getting all the counties active and see you at least a little in SS.