[3830] NA Sprint RTTY W6NL(W0YK) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint RTTY W6NL(W0YK) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 03:45:57 -0700
                    NA Sprint RTTY Contest

Call: W6NL
Operator(s): W0YK
Station: W6NL

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 4
Radios: SO2R

   80:   54    3:00
   40:  100    4:00
   20:   22    1:00
---------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC

Comments:

A big thanks to Dave and Barb Leeson for letting me disrupt their weekend
getting setup and operating this Sprint.  Magnificent hosts with a spectacular
contest location.  Unfortunately, propagation was not cooperating as we all
found out.

One might think that removing the legal dupe rule was a mistake after last
night, but I think just the opposite.  I would never have worked some of the
mults I did, nor would I have worked many of the stations under the old rules.
Instead, I would have worked a much shorter list of stations over and over
again.  I prefer tonight's rules even if the total QSO count is less than it
might have been.  We just need to keep getting more people involved ... and,
hang on for improved conditions.

I had about 20 dupes which I readily worked rather than trying to discuss the
rule change during the contest.  Also, it could be that some of those "dupes"
were due to a problem with the first QSO that didn't get logged properly by one
of us.  Still, there were a few call signs that were clearly operating under the
old dupe rule.  One of them pointed out that while the NCJ Rules web page was
updated, the downloadable PDF was not.  So, that may have been the source of
the confusion for some.  That will get fixed.

Thanks to everyone who got on and endured "crawl" and thanks for the teams that
were set up.  My focus quickly shifted from my own progress to that of our team.
 I see one dead period in my log of seven minutes without a QSO.  There may be
longer periods but I'm afraid to look too closely!  This is my worst showing by
a wide margin ... and from a much superior station than my home QTH.

73,
Ed - W0YK

QSOs/Mults:
 Hour      80M     40M     20M    Total     Cum

D1-0000Z  --+--   43/19   22/8    65/27     65/27
D1-0100Z  10/1    30/4      -     40/5     105/32
D1-0200Z  29/0    20/2      -     49/2     154/34
D1-0300Z  15/0     7/1      -     22/1     176/35

Total:    54/1   100/26   22/8