[3830] TBDC PA5KT(@PI4Z) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC PA5KT(@PI4Z) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 15:13:57 -0700
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: PA5KT
Operator(s): PA5KT
Station: PI4Z

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: JO11WM
Operating Time (hrs): 14

Total:  QSOs = 108  Total Score = 977

Club:

Comments:

Sorry for the long story, but here is my report:
TX: K3, Alpha 374 (400 watts). T-antenna with some radials. 220m beverage
NW/SE.

Most of my activities are taking place at the clubstation PI4Z. PI4Z is a
conteststation which was the latest years mostly active on VHF, UHF and SHF.
144MHz  - 24GHz. Antennas for HF were rebuild slowly after the broken tower in
January 2007.

Because of the small lot we have, it is not possible to have large wire
antennas throughout the year. Outside the farming season we can use the farm
land to make some antennas and to layout radials. The start and the end of the
farming season is depending on the weather. Last year they already started the
day after the cq 160 cw contest, so sometimes we have a short topband season.
Hopefully this year it starts freezing in January for 2 months.

Last week the new Elecraft K3 arrived. The kit was built in 3 evenings and the
first qso's were made. Tested RTTY and CW modes.
Superb receiver! Also nice weight, small frontpanel with just enough knobs.
Have the K3/100 with KXV and KAT options. 2nd receiver is backorder, and I also
have not (yet) bought x-tal filters.

This weekend was the Stew Perry Topband DX Challenge warm up contest. A good
contest to test the 160m capabilities of the K3.
One of my goals is to have WAS on 160m.
I used a Inv L for several years now. Most of the time without radials, just a
copper rod. Normally it was no problem to work into the east coast USA. For the
CQ 160 CW I added some (8) radials. Now I finally heard also lot of mid-west
station. During the topband dinner in Dayton I got the suggestion to change the
invL to a T-antenna. So this is what I changed last weekend. Also added some
more radials, mostly at the southside of the antenna. I have now heard and
worked for the first time WA, N7UA called me earlier in the night, but he
disappeared. Later he called me again and we exchanged te locator. Worked
W7AWA. I thought I also was called by a KL7, but openings were too short to
exchange the locator. I have the idea that it works better, but this could also
be better conditions, better receiver etc. Best DX was JA from PM84. No contact
over 10000 km.
Also managed to work VK9DWX on 160, 80 and 40, but they were not in the
contest.

Another addition is the Beverage, I made a W8JI 2 direction switchable version.
Length of the 450 Ω parallel feeder is around 200 meters. Directions are NW
(USA) and SE. Works also fine.

So I enjoyed the weekend and even worked a new state. Will be trying 160m more,
but I have to get to a (cold) club, and sometimes it is difficult to get out of
the warm bed .

During the contest also tested the 23cm EME dish which we finished this
weekend. Heard nice signals reflecting from the moon! We have to work on the
transmitter, so hopefully PI4Z will be active from JO11 during EME contest in
November!

Coming weekend it is CQ WW SSB contest. Plan is to be active as M/S from PI4Z.
Probably with call PA5KT.

If you have heard me and called me but I did not hear you please let me know. I
am interested in other reports as well.

Overview of which locators I worked are here:
http://gallery.remijn.net/gallery/v/personal/PA5KT/

Henk