[3830] CQWW SSB VE3MGY SOSB(A)/160 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vy2mgy@sympatico.ca
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VE3MGY SOSB(A)/160 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 10:35:53 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE3MGY
Operator(s): VE3MGY
Station: VE3MGY

Class: SOSB(A)/160 LP
QTH: ONTARIO
Operating Time (hrs): 20.0

  160:  360    9        17
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total:  360    9        17  Total Score = 16,744

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Murphy started early in this contest when I noticed in the very first hour that
I was only putting out 45 - 50 watts as per all of the meters I tried. That
never changed all weekend and I have yet to determine exactly why that was. My
radio is a Icom Pro III and apparently others have reported this but I have not
heard of a fix as of yet.

On the other hand I have NEVER seen 160 so hot on SSB as it was this weekend.
There was no QRN here all weekend and the band was open to NA, SA, AF and EU.
Even with 40 - 50 watts I was called by NA, SA, and even EU. Some amazing
signals were CN2R - 59 to 59+10 on the vertical and even 58 - 59 on the EU
beverage as well. In fact most of EU was a S7 on the meter. I even worked an EI
who was still S7 here at his SR + 25 minutes. However the extra 3 DB that I was
missing would have netted me another 10 - 15 DXCC easily as I was "QRZ the
Victor Echo?" in a number of DX Logs. Hopefully someone can enlighten me as to
how to correct this power problem on the IC P III before the SS SSB weekend.

FYI I am still 100 watts key down on CW [ thank heavens! ].

73
Brian
VE3MGY