[3830] CQWW SSB N5DX SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N5DX SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 09:03:11 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N5DX
Operator(s): N5DX
Station: N5DX

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Arkansas
Operating Time (hrs): 45.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:   56    13       32
   80:  164    25       76
   40:  500    29       88
   20:  826    37      114
   15:  747    28       90
   10:   16     5        7
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

I had a really good time operating in this contest.  A special thanks to my wife
for letting me spend a lot of time getting the station ready and operating the
contest.  If there are any young contesters out there that are contemplating
having kids I have a piece of advice for you: WAIT.

Also, thanks to Chuck (KM5G) and Art (K0RO) for helping with tower and antenna
work before the contest.  This station wouldn't exist if it wasn't for all of
the people that have helped us out over the past 8 years.

As usual my dad did a great job with getting the station ready, and putting up
with my BS.  I would not be doing this without him.  We completed two new
antenna projects. A 10 element 15 meter beam fixed on Europe on a 105' boom.
And a 3 element quad at 90 feet switchable NW/SE for 40 meters.  The quad
worked great!  The jury is out on 15 meter antenna, but it is much quieter than
the 7 element beam which helped me pull out many weak EU stations.  The 7
element is at 90' and the 10 element is at 60'.  We're hoping that when the
conditions improve, the lower antenna will be much better.

My goal going into the contest was 3.7 million.  I'm pleased with my score
considering 10 meters was dead for nearly the entire 48 hours.  There were
decent openings into Europe both days on 15 meters.  Best hour was only around
90 though.  Saturday afternoon 15 also opened to Japan for a nice couple of
hours, but didn't hear anything on Sunday.  The highlight of the contest was
running on 20 meters for the last 7 hours of the contest.  I had many new
multipliers call in during this time: SU9, 9H5, HSO, 5H3, BY, KH6, 9V1, YK9,
9M8, J28, VP2V.

I believe K5GO will be on for CW sweepstakes, so watch out :)
He is much better at copying calls than I am.

73

Kevin/N5DX