[3830] CQWW SSB AF6EV SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ddavison80@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB AF6EV SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 13:34:05 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: AF6EV
Operator(s): AF6EV
Station: AF6EV

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 20.5

  160:
   80:    1     1        1
   40:   35    11       21
   20:   77    18       26
   15:  110    18       35
   10:
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

This contest was a mixed bag for me. There were times when I was having a real
good time and times when I was completely discouraged. After participating in a
few CW contests its very apparent how much harder SSB is for us little pistols.
I have never had so many 10+ stations CQ in my face. This was Sunday morning on
20. I tuned the band and I thought this is going to be great. Little did I know
that my puny signal would not penetrate the QRM. I did find some luck at the
higher end of the band where it was quieter.

It wasn't all bad. I started out on 20 at about 0130 and had a good time
working JA and KH6. The next morning 15 was open and it was fairly good all
day. I did pop down to 20 every once in a while, but my signal could definitely
be heard on better on 15. On Sunday 15 was dead in the morning, but picked up
real good in the afternoon, where I had my best hour in the contest.

All in all it was a good experience. I did pick up some new countries and my
SSB operating skill did improve. At this point I think I prefer CW contests.
SSB is a real hard mode for us little guys in a very competitive environment.
It does inspire me to improve my antenna system however.

This contest marks the one year anniversary of my first HF contact. I had just
received my HF privileges, purchased a radio and threw a dipole on the roof. I
tuned my radio and heard the contest. I had no idea what was going on, so I
listened a while and from an internet search realized I just needed to give the
signal report and zone 3. I had a blast that day and it opened up a whole new
world to me.

Station details:
Radio: FT450
Antenna: Fan dipole at 25 feet.
Software: N1MM

Thanks for the Qs and see you all in CQ WW CW.

Dave
AF6EV