[3830] CQWW SSB AD1C SOAB(A) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jjreisert@alum.mit.edu
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB AD1C SOAB(A) LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 15:48:10 -0700

Software:  CT 10.04.001

What do I miss most?

a)  living on the right coast
b)  a decent antenna
c)  KW amplifier
d)  voice keyer
e)  sunspots
f)  ALL OF THE ABOVE

This is the first phone DX contest I have operated in some time.  My goal was
to work new DXCC entities for my Colorado DXCC (I worked about 20 new ones).
Going into the contest, I had hoped to make about 100 QSOs - I did that by the
end of the first day.  Originally I had planned on skipping Saturday entirely,
but I got sucked in.

I could not work anything on 40 meters outside NA/SA/Hawaii/Japan, despite some
loud signals from the boys across the pond.  I got to the band too late both
mornings to catch anything in the Pacific.  I hope to have better luck in CW.

I was surprised to hear, and even more surprised to work a few Europeans on 15
meters.  TM6M and CU2X seemed to be in all day, both days.  I heard a few
strong JAs on 15 but couldn't get their attention.  HQ3Z was loud all day both
days on 15, OH8X was loud all day Saturday on 20.  Since I wasn't trying to win
anything, my strategy on 15 was to stick with a station as it came in and out of
the noise.  When the signal peaked up a few S-units, I'd make a call and pray
there weren't hundreds of other callers I couldn't hear.  Some never heard me,
some came back right away.

It was funny to hear the huge pileup on 6W1RY on 20, but as I tuned up the band
I found 6V7M with no callers!

I'm looking forward to SS next weekend, and CQWW CW a few after that!

73 - Jim AD1C