[3830] CQWW SSB 9M8Z SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, teleniuslowe@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB 9M8Z SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 22:57:15 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: 9M8Z
Operator(s): 9M6DXX ONLY
Station: 9M8Z

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Sarawak
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    2     2        2
   80:   75    14       20
   40:  573    33       77
   20: 1630    33      109
   15: 1652    29      100
   10:  192    14       19
------------------------------

Club: Chiltern DX Club (CDXC) of UK

Comments:

This year marks my 30th anniversary of first submitting a CQWW entry (EP2SL,
1978) and it is my highest-scoring CQWW single-op entry ever. Once again, CQWW
makes its own propagation: terrific conditions, especially on 15m - completely
unexpected at this stage of the solar cycle. I'm aware I missed a lot of
multipliers, but that was because I was running most of the time - and I still
managed to get my usual sleep in! Maybe next time I'll do more S&P, though, or
take the easy option and go Assisted. Best rate was the first hour, at 251 for
the clock hour.

Almost every QSO on 80m (and the two on 160m) were a struggle: in this part of
the world we envy those ops in EU or NA who can make hundreds of QSOs and pick
up so many mults on those bands with ease! But on the other hand it looks like
I had much better propagation on 15m than those at higher latitudes.

Like everyone, I'm looking forward to 10m opening up again: we got a taste of
it this year with some S9+ signals from OH and UA4, but no other Europeans
heard at all.

Rig: FT-1000MP, Commander amp, to Optibeam OB17-4 at 72ft (40m 3-ele, 20m/15m
4-ele, 10m 6-ele), 80/160m B&W sloping dipole at 70ft to 30ft.

Great fun as always.
73, Steve, 9M8Z / 9M6DXX / G4JVG.