[3830] SS CW K8GU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ethan@k8gu.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K8GU Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 06:08:04 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K8GU
Operator(s): K8GU
Station: K8GU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 11
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:  239
   40:  227
   20:   41
   15:   10
   10:    0
------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Sections Missed:  EWA (heard K7OX S&P on 40), NWT (heard people working VY1EI on
40), VI (heard KP2M S&P on 20), MB (never heard)

Equipment:  TS-930S/PIEXX, FT-840; Dipoles for 80, 40, 20, 15/10; W3NQN
filters; W9RE 6x2 switch; KK1L 6x2 controller.

I was still trying to get my 80-meter dipole back up on Saturday morning.  I
finally got it up to an acceptable altitude (without snagging the fishing
line).  The main TS-930S (the one with the Inrad roofing/IF filters in it) had
a catastrophic failure a few weeks ago.  I still need to find $100 and a few
hours to repair it.  I moved my FT-840 (that I've retained mostly for
sentimental reasons---it was my first big purchase with money earned when I was
in high school) into the SO2R setup.  It really is amazing how much better RX is
in the 930, by the way.  But, this is about SS, not my radios.

I had to work in the afternoon (at least it was outside in nice weather) until
2230 UT.  After cleaning up and eating, I didn't get on until 0020ish.  The
TS-930 PLL kept dropping out of lock for the first few hours.  I didn't even
bother with the second radio until I got my feet under me.  I seriously
contemplated giving up several times on Saturday night.  But, the 930
eventually settled down and didn't cause me any problems for the last 7 hours
of operating.

Two frustrating things for someone who has mostly operated Sprints recently:
1. When you work someone S&P, you don't get their frequency!
2. Everybody was 5-10 wpm slower.
I guess this highlights the importance of "mental practice" like CT1BOH
discussed on CQ-Contest recently.

The second radio gave me most of my 15 and 20 QSOs where I couldn't get a run
started for anything, even on Sunday afternoon.

It was good time, that's for sure!  Thanks for the QSOs.  It was great to work
a lot of friends from all over...

73,

--Ethan, K8GU/9.
http://www.k8gu.com/