[3830] SS CW KA3DRR Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW KA3DRR Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 17:18:01 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: KA3DRR
Operator(s): KA3DRR
Station: KA3DRR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:    0
   80:   12
   40:   58
   20:   38
   15:    1
   10:    0
------------

Club:

Comments:

I had a lot of ham radio fun operating Sweepstakes 75 this weekend. The exchange
is extreme fun as well.

Forty meter activity was robust. My number on this band suggests the early
stage of Cycle 24 still favoring the low bands. However 80m activity trended
downward and localized precipitation increased noise level. A 3 s-unit
difference between 40m and 80m in the late evening hours.

Twenty meters, on the other hand, presents a challenge for a Level 4 (L4)
[low-power,low-profile] station like mine. Pure search and pounce (SP) on 20m
with Level 1/Level 2 blue chip stations filling my log. Many thanks.

I operated one VFO as CQ-only and the other as SP-only as SO2V. The statistical
break out generated by N1MM Contest Logger suggested a preponderance of SP
activity [90Qs] vs. [19Qs] calling CQ. I do believe, as a L4 station, SP
strategy is a good fit in Sweepstakes. Additionally, an imaginary bell shaped
curve mostly comprises precedent B-type stations [n=46]. However, one cannot
identify precedent U [n=23] and M [n=9] as either high or low power? Precedent
A-type stations comprised [n=27] in my log. This may suggest an effect of
antenna characteristics and geography profile as an L4 station on the other
hand.

Band mapping? Situational awareness? I opted for a real-time N1MM band map
relative to signal inputs at my location. Such a map, at least for me,
developed a high definition picture of Sweepstakes CW activity for each
respective band. I'm learning, as a L4 station, one nearly works what is heard.
That is, my sub-optimal antenna at sub-optimal height has different performance
characteristics than normalized antenna systems. A personalized band map was
unique to this QTH/station configuration. Search and pounce was efficient using
a personalized band map.

N1MM statistical analysis allowed me to see if calling CQ produced a rate
greater than search and pounce as time progressed. This tool facilitated a
change of strategy early in the contest as a L4 station.

Great contest. Stellar fun. And I'm looking forward to Sweepstakes 76 next
year. Many thanks!

73
Scot, KA3DRR