[3830] SS SSB K5TR Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, geoiii@kkn.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K5TR Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 16:25:05 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K5TR
Operator(s): K5TR
Station: K5TR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs): 7
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I was slightly sick with a cold the week before SS but I was feeling fine on
Friday and when the contest started but I ended up pretty much losing my voice
in hour 3 or 4 of the contest but keep going hoping it would improve as it
sometimes has in the past but it just keep getting worse.  I quit a 6.5 hours
into the contest and tried again later but it was not getting any better.
Those few of you I called today know how bad I sounded.  I found that I really
like this contest and even after quiting last night I really wanted to work
guys today.  If I could have I would still be in the chair at the end even if I
was 1000 contacts behind.

I have been doing the SS for many years now and this is the first time I have
not gotten to put in a full effort and one of the very few sweepstakes that I
had any real failures of the op or even the station.  So I guess I have been
lucky. Looking forward to doing it again next year for the full 24 hours.

It sounded like many people were having a good contest.  I hope they did
well and I think all of the promotion by the ARRL has been great for
the SS.  I hope it continues next year and into the future.

I had an OK start - it was not my best but also not my worst.  I think I had
close to 100 qsos in the first 30 minutes but then the frequency got trashed
and I had to finally leave it for 15 meters and find a new one on 20 meters. It
was nice to hear 15 meters with some decent signs of life today.

21z  159     159
22z  140     299
23z  137     436
00z  107     543
01z  107     650
02z   99     749
03z   35     784 / 72

I stopped at 0323z

I ended up working a few more mults today to get it up to 78 only needing ND
and AR.  I looked for awhile but about the only way to work those guys is to
call CQ or maybe tonight on 80 meters.

Station:
http://www.k5tr.net/

160     - 1/4 wave sloping verticals sloped east and west
        - NE, NW, SE, SW beverages ~500' long

80      - Half wave sloping dipoles - sloped NE, NW from 120'.
        - NE, NW, SE, SW beverages ~500' long

40      - Force 12 240N at 120'
        - Cushcraft 40-2CD at 87'
        - NE, NW, SE, SW beverages ~500' long

20      - 6 element yagi at 80' fixed NE
        - 6 element yagi at 80'
        - 6 element yagi 40' fixed NW
        - 4 element yagi 60' fixed SE

15      - 6 element yagi at 70'