[3830] SS SSB ND0C Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, randydvm@iw.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB ND0C Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 19:21:28 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: ND0C
Operator(s): ND0C
Station: ND0C

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Minnesota
Operating Time (hrs): 22

------------
  160:    1
   80:  151
   40:   68
   20:  210
   15:   38
   10:    0
------------

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

Pretty good conditions overall and I'm relatively pleased with my score in light
of very modest antennas (including low dipoles for 80 and 40)on a city lot.  At
times the going was very tough on 40 and 80 and then it was like somebody
flipped a switch and I was able to get through the pile-ups.  20 really was the
go-to band for me, but either it didn't open as well from here to the southeast
or the activity there was down.  Both 20 and 15 offered pipelines to California
from here.  QRM was certainly a factor without 10 being open and more solid
consistent openings on 15 to spread things out.  I never could get any runs
going - tough to carve out a spot in the QRM and be heard with only 5 watts and
so-so antennas.

I missed SC, PR, and ND.  I never heard a single South Carolina or Puerto Rico
station - weird.  I did hear one ND station S&Ping on 80 on Sunday night.

Thanks to everybody for their patience and persistence with all the repeats and
fills on 40 and 80 and pulling me through the QRM.  I appreciate it.

Station: Yaesu FT-897D at 5 watts and Argonaut 509 at 3 watts
Antennas: 3 el tribander Yagi at 50 feet and tuned dipoles at 45 feet.

73,
Randy, ND0C