[3830] SS SSB N1LN SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n1ln@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB N1LN SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 07:00:54 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 17.0
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:  646
   40:  233
   20:  352
   15:   22
   10:    0
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This was a fun contest.  I don't usually say that about single-op SSB contests,
but I will say that here.  Why?  Well, I think the first reason is directly
associated with my K3s.  The other reason is my beverage antennas that I used
most if not all the time on both 75 and 40 mtrs.  The combination was
outstanding.

When QSO number 29 was NT with VY1EI and QSO number 44 was ND with N7IV I knew
this was going to be fun and was optimistic about a sweep before the end of
Saturday evening.  By 0325Z or 0925 EST I had 79 sections.  The only one from
using the cluster was NT.  Why was I running U class?  The answer was because
of section 80, PR.  I only operated until 0600Z, 0000 EST, Saturday night.
Then started up again 1041 Z or 0541 EST on Sunday morning.  At roughly 1225 Z
I saw a spot pop up for NP4Z.  My run, that was not really much of one at that
time of day, stopped and off I went.  By 1228 Z the sweep was completed and the
rest of the contest could be all focused on Q count.

My band Q counts point out one fact, specifically, that I am not a big fan of
40 mtr SSB.  My main evening focus was 75 and the band was in excellent
condition.  Lots of strong stations and even the QRP stations seemed easy to
copy due to the beverages.  My 40 mtr Qs were almost all on Sunday during the
day.  The band was quiet and busy enough for a few really good runs between
1500z and 1700z.  Having the two radios on Sunday was a big advantage to be
able to run on one and search and pounce on the other.  I can't say I am a good
SO2R op, but when rates are slow I can almost coordinate my hands, ears, and
eyes.  Lots of practice is needed.

One more comment.  What if....I could stay in the chair for the full 24 hours?

It was great to hear all the "GO PVRC" comments from fellow club members.
Congrats to all the clubs that showed up in force for SS.  Competition is what
contests are all about.  Now we wait for the counting and final results.

73,
Bruce - N1LN
(aka: NC4KW)