[3830] SS SSB W6KC SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w6kc@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB W6KC SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 22:53:53 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W6KC
Operator(s): W6KC
Station: W6KC

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: LAX
Operating Time (hrs): 10

------------
  160:
   80:   84
   40:   96
   20:   95
   15:  226
   10:
------------

Club:

Comments:

I still needed 5 sections on Sunday morning: SC QC NL MB and PR.  I had 6
stations from SC call me on 15M so that was easy...I found QC, NL and MB pretty
easily as well. Since there were no big guns from PR, that seemed to be the
challenging one this year. The PR ops I found seem to all be the casual ops
with low numbers and big pile ups.  I finally worked KP4SQ and later my last
QSO was KP4ZY who was giving a check of 94 or 95...I picked 94 for my log.

Due to space limitations, I have a 40/80m trap dipole that works pretty well on
40m, but is just marginal on 80m.  I usually just spend the minimum time needed
on 80m just to get my missing closer in sections.  K6III answered my CQ on 80m
at 0724 and said that he would spot me because a lot of stations were still
looking for LAX.  In the next 30 minutes I had the most incredible pile up that
I have every had on 80m...the rate peaked at 130/hr and I worked 59 QSOs in 34
minutes...that was fun and such a surprise given my antenna on that band.

It was nice to get sweeps on both CW & SSB on this 75th anniversary of SS.  Per
my check of 59 I got my Novice license in that year at age 13...next year will
be my 50th ham radio anniversary.  I still remember my first SS in 1960 and
look forward each year to another renewal of those good memories.

73,

Jim, W6KC