[3830] SS SSB K0HC School Club HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w0bh@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K0HC School Club HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 14:09:29 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K0HC
Operator(s): W0BH N0LRA K0WHY + 8 STUDENTS
Station: K0HC

Class: School Club HP
QTH: KS
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:
   80:  419
   40:  683
   20:  359
   15:   17
   10:
------------

Club: Hesston College Amateur Radio Club

Comments:

After spending Thursday evenings practicing logging, QSOs and pileups, and after
"warming-up" in the Pennsylvania and California QSO parties, and after
installing an additional Butternut vertical and 30 ground radials for the
search and pounce station, the 8-student Hesston College Amateur Radio Club
team (all non-hams) was more than ready to go!

We got off to a slow first hour (43 and don't ask!), but things had to get
better and did as we got into the swing of things. This year, all the students
took turns operating both the search and pounce station and the run station and
enjoyed checking off sections as we got closer to the magic 80.  As many others
have reported, PR was hard to find this year, but we finally broke through a
pileup and worked NP4Z at 1943Z on Sunday which resulted in significant
additional QRM in the shack with the expectation of a 75th Anniversary Clean
Sweep mug for all. Later, another PR station called us on 40m, which left only
NL as a solo section this year.

As always, it was fun working and chatting with other schools: W1YK, W8SH,
N9YN, W1MX, N0UNL, K4FAU, W6YX (great job!), W8EDU and N5XU. Welcome to W5ZD
(Texas A&M), N4VVJ representing Eastern Mennonite University in VA, and a nice
surprise to work local K0KU (Kansas University) for the first time as well.
>From Keith, Taylor, Tessa, Donovan, BJ, Levent, Chris and Sam: THANKS for all
the Qs!

73, Bob, w0bh
trustee, k0hc