[3830] SS SSB W4AAA(KK9A) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, john@kk9a.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB W4AAA(KK9A) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 19:36:39 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W4AAA
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: KK9A

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: North Carolina
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:
   80:  720
   40:  395
   20:  365
   15:   20
   10:
------------

Club:

Comments:

The station is under construction and the only permanent antenna on the 110 foot
tower is a homebrew 6 element 20m beam with a 60 foot boom that I put up a month
earlier and never tested.  Just before this contest I installed many temporary
antennas and I ran the various control and hardline cables from the tower to
the house.  A thunderstorm storm passed though on Friday night and it was still
quite windy when I finished setting up on Saturday morning, just before the
contest.  I began on 20m and the new beam worked well.  I had a fantastic start
working mostly the west coast with a peak 60 minute rate of 109 QSOs.   After 2
1/2 hours I switched to 80m.  Fortunately the storm had now passed and the band
was quiet and open to most areas of the US and Canada.   I worked all 80
multipliers during the first 8 hours.  Nearly all of them called me so I did
not have to spend much time looking for a sweep.  I had very little success on
40m during the first night however on Sunday afternoon the skip was shorter and
conditions were much better.  For some reason I did not have a lot callers on
20m during the second day even though the band was wide open, perhaps I ran out
of west coast stations to work.  I was never able to run at all on 15m so I
spent most Sunday afternoon on 40m.  After the sun went down I switch to 80m
until the contest ended.   I had a great time operating the 75th November
Sweepstakes.   QSL via WD9DZV.

73,
John
john@kk9a.com