[3830] CQWW CW K1DG(@N1LI) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dougk1dg@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K1DG(@N1LI) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 07:18:17 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K1DG
Operator(s): K1DG
Station: N1LI

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Maine
Operating Time (hrs): 44
Radios: SO2R

  160:  305    17       71
   80:  810    23       95
   40:  543    24       95
   20: 1887    29      116
   15:  168    21       77
   10:    6     2        2
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

My 40M beam developed an intermittent problem recently. Taking it down is a big
job with all the other antennas on the same tower (the 40 is at the very top),
and I just did not have a combination of time and weather to allow repairing
it. It worked well enough in the CQWW SSB and both modes of SS, so I figured I
could live with the problem one more weekend, and fix it in the spring.

However, a severe wind storm earlier in the week apparently made things
worse...the SWR bounced from 1:1 to 3:1 randomly, but guys kept calling. Got
through the first day OK, but just after 00z Saturday night, the SWR went to
3:1, and stayed there. I was hearing OK, but had to struggle for every QSO. I
considered quitting, but knew I was doing well on the other bands and kept
going. Before I took my sleep break Sunday morning, I gathered the parts I
would need for a makeshift antenna - a wire GP that I could hang from a tree.
Installation would have to wait until daybreak.

At 17z on Sunday when the 20M run began to slow, I went outside and installed
the 40M GP in a tree close to the house so I could at least work a few
multipliers in the last few hours. Managed to work RW9USA, VK6LW, ZC4LI, H7A,
and A54XR with it, so I guess it was worth the time. I could not crack the
pileup on OD5NJ though. I tried to run with it, but nobody answered my CQs. Of
the 543 QSOs on 40, fewer than 50 were made after the halfway point.

Amazing rates on 20M. I guess that everyone has been looking forward to this
contest, and wanted to operate. With 15 and 10 in poor shape, everyone was on
20. I had long stretches with the rate meter over 200. Missed those LP Asian
openings while I was busy on other bands.

When I put the second radio there on 15 Sunday morning, the first signal I
heard was TO3R - a solid s7! A little while later, I thought the European
signals were peaking a bit, and managed a half-hour run there good for almost
100 Qs.

My 6 QSOs on 10 consisted of local multi-multi K1TTT and 5 LUs, all in a
10-minute period Saturday. Nothing else heard, though I only listened a few
times. Dear sunspots: We miss you - please come back soon.

80 and 160 played quite well, and I had some nice runs on both. I'm very
pleased with the antenna performance on those bands at this QTH. A new 500-foot
2-wire Beverage in the friendly neighbor's woods made listening easier.

Congratulations to K5ZD on another great job, and his retirement. Unlike Randy,
I am *not* retiring from SOAB contesting, and will have a working 40M antenna
next year.

Despite the 40M beam failure that probably cost me this contest, I still love
this game!

73 and thanKS for all the QSOs,

Doug K1DG