[3830] CQWW CW K0RF M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6rf@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K0RF M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 09:15:55 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K0RF
Operator(s): AA0RS, W0UA, W1XE, W2CO, N4VI, K0RF
Station: K0RF

Class: M/M HP
QTH: co
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  169    21       64
   80:  448    32      105
   40: 1242    37      133
   20: 1464    34      138
   15:  248    27       64
   10:   27     9       11
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

A week before the contest this was going to be a Multi Single or Multi Two
entry.  Then we had settled in on a Multi Two but before we started we looked
at the rules and there was enough confusion about band changes that we decided
to just go Multi Multi.

We had planned a crew of 4, W0UA, AA0RS, W1XE and myself. The day before the
test, I heard Tom, W2CO on the band and told him he was free to stop up during
the test and we were glad he did to help out during the daytime.  N4VI, Chris
just stopped up on Saturday and we put headphones on him and a paddle in his
hands for a few hours.

W0UA was the QSO champ of this effort.  We used and abused him for 40 of the 48
hours.  And, every time the stations started to run (mostly on 40 to JA and 20
to EU) we stepped aside and watched his magic. Watching the rate meter pop up
to the 300s was quite a thrill.  I have been doing this for 40 years and, for
pure running skill and speed, I have still to see anyone match him.
AA0RS, Dave, worked 160 for almost every QSO there, plus he managed to also
work 40 meters for our best run to EU at the end of the contest.  It must have
been frustrating for him to use my 160 set up that is consistently a couple
s-units weaker than his big 4-square at his home QTH, but he never complained.
He just did a fantastic job with what he had here.
W1XE plugged in wherever I needed him.  The firsat night on 80 meters he
marched up and down 80 meters picking up lots of mults.  He was ready for the
JAs when they came in and did an FB job of getting them in the log even when we
made him move up the band to make sure 40M was free of his harmonic.  W1XE,
George is usually pretty composed and, I must say, that I was quite surprised
to hear him shout with delight when he picked up EY8MM on 80M longpath as I was
working s-0 EU stations on 20M scatter over South America.
W2CO, Tom,  has never come up for a contest before and he had great instincts
for finding the elusive signals on 10M.  He managed to suffer through learning
CT, my less than ergonomic set up, and the 20M harmonic to pull out more
stations than I thought we would.
N4VI, Chris, came up and filled in on 20M Saturday when we really needed the
break.  Chris has operated up here many times in the past and I hope this will
be the beginning of his return.
The crew worked very hard.  There were many times when we had all we could do
to stay awake but everyone gutted it out.  I am very happy with the results and
ready to do it again, hopefully with real 15M and some meaningful 10 M too.

73 to all and see you again in the pileups.  Thanks for all the contacts.

Chuck and the gang at K0RF